daveb142

Dave's 1994 1.8 20vt

So I finished my exams for the year and decided it was time to treat myself. So I travelled up to Gloucester and bought this:

394380_10152842779555430_678702796_n_zpsf9b719c4.jpg

It's a 1994 2.0L 16v model with 170k on the clock! Picked it up pretty cheap off of "dubnut" on here! It has MOT until september but no tax, needs some TLC.

The plans are to take the engine out, fully service it and replace some leaking gaskets, clean up the bay and check for rust under the battery tray etc, then put the engine back in and re-do the brakes etc.

Got it recovered back to Plymouth, gave it a quick wash and tidy up.

null_zpsfb49199c.jpg

null_zpsbf4ea73a.jpg

null_zps7fd58994.jpg

null_zps11c04321.jpg

Then tucked it away back in the unit for the time being

null_zps0838c84f.jpg

I have since taken the 17" alloys off and put on some 14" mini G60's for now (spare wheels I had going). I've started making a list of what needs doing to it and what parts I need to order from TPS.

Will strip the whole interior out over the next few days, give it clean and check through everything. Heading up to Devon Dub Shack tomorrow to pick up a few parts that I need, like window reg etc.

The plan I have is to get it on the road for september time, just after edition38 when the Polo runs out of insurance and I turn 21 and gain 4 years no claims. I hope to run the corrado around for the winter months etc before taking it off the road again to do a 20vt conversion. Hopefully this will give me the time to save up for the parts I will need as will do most of the work to the 20vt before it goes in! Also might see to the bodywork on the Polo whilst it's off the road...

Anyway, enough talking! Will most likely update in a couple of days :)

Oh, and the Polo:

null_zps1a336a57.jpg

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by daveb142

welcome to the family mate, quite liking your plans for her and itl be good watching this progress :thumbleft:

Get stuck in mate! I'm sure you'll get a few good deals on parts down at DDS! Keep us posted. :thumbleft:

welcome to the family mate, quite liking your plans for her and itl be good watching this progress :thumbleft:

Thanks mate! Will be updated regularly!

Get stuck in mate! I'm sure you'll get a few good deals on parts down at DDS! Keep us posted. :thumbleft:

Cheers Sean! Haha I've already been there today and picked up a few parts ;) will do mate

Started to do some stuff to the Corrado!

null_zps4cccdfaa.jpg

Took the seats out and vacuumed the carpet.

null_zps2876565d.jpg

null_zps131e65a2.jpg

Found many many packaging for cigarette packets under the seats and a load of ash about. The car absolutely stinks of smoke (I dont smoke) so have fully fabreez'ed the car now and left the windows etc open.

Took the rear seats out, some paint has been spilled down the back of the seat at somepoint so will get all that off this week.

null_zps5cb592ee.jpg

null_zpscfd8fb09.jpg

null_zps66553a7d.jpg

Also noticed that this wasnt connected so screwed it back in

null_zpsc89fbe5d.jpg

null_zps5aadb99a.jpg

null_zpsc60feb46.jpg

Need to replace the gear knob and gaitor/surround as its broken and looks pretty gash atm:

null_zps31022cdc.jpg

Headliner seems to have been sprayed black:

null_zps408a9f67.jpg

And for some reason have a different headlight switch?

null_zps42350249.jpg

Oh also changed over the indicator stalk as it was a mk2 golf one :/

null_zps670b210d.jpg

null_zpsd3df5ea0.jpg

And random of the engine bay

null_zps8d7a888b.jpg

Sorry for the crap photos btw.

Also, am sorting out service parts this week. Replacing the oil pressure switch as it's leaking and the sump gasket.

I have a large list of things needed to do and parts that I need to order, so will have more updates soon, especially as I am now off from university.

Will strip out the rest of the interior this week and getting coilovers off of a mate. Oh, Also have noticed both sides have been resprayed (badly) by a previous owner. They havent bothered to remove the windows and they've got the colour slightly wrong. Also they have resprayed over things and some ****e filler work, but all's good as it will get sorted :)

Anyway, it's late and i'm probably not making sense, so will update this week!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by daveb142

Some cracking work there already fella, will be following the updates with muchos interest

Thanks man!

Did some more work to the Corrado today...didn't get as much done as intended to though, am Ill at the moment and being a pussy with it haha.

I bought a genuine oil filter and sump plug for it today mind, as well as pricing up some parts I need! The plan was to take off the door cards, have a look at the passenger door handle and driver's window mechanism and drain coolant / oil.

Began by taking off the door cards. The left side was pretty unmolestered however the right side had been bodged back together...

null_zps7e3f2731.jpg

Sorted the door handle, that now opens the door from the outside. You can see from the picture the overspray onto the plastic casing...

null_zpsfe5b039c.jpg

Driver's door had an attempt at another plastic membrane being cut out and attached to the door. The previous owner said that the window would come off of it's runners..turned out to be the wheel had come off from the mechanism, so re-attached it.

null_zpse253420e.jpg

I also noticed one of the pins on the connector for the window switches wasnt in properly? It won't push in so will have to get a tool for that I guess...

null_zps5d1b4020.jpg

After reading up about rust under the battery tray, I decided to remove it and take a look.

null_zps5f424458.jpg

Not too bad considering the miles it's done!

Then tried to remove the front end. Can't for the life of me work out how the bumper comes off :/ So is currently left like this. This meant the coolant and oil wasn't done either :/

null_zps9ff776d5.jpg

oh and managed to snap a bolt whilst trying to undo the radiator clips

null_zps44064c89.jpg

Have a few parts coming in to vw on wednesday, however pretty busy with work over next couple of days so will update later in the week.

Edited by daveb142

So I was going to service the 2.0l, buy a new sump gasket etc etc....however then sort of thought "why?" So set about with the main plan, which was to 20vt it :)

Figured out how to take the bumper off, really didnt think the whole crash bar would come off with it!

null_zps8c7a2cc8.jpg

Went and bought some new coolant (which will be used for when i convert to the 20vt) and new suspension bolts

null_zps06f247a3.jpg

Then began with removing the engine. Made sure I labelled up all the wiring before removing the k-jet and such

null_zps4e026f48.jpg

null_zps7d1c46fc.jpg

null_zpsfd07aee7.jpg

null_zps25f392a6.jpg

Then last night I had some time off, so managed to get the engine out

null_zps508b4b3f.jpg

null_zps56c06f74.jpg

null_zps4dcbc990.jpg

My mate who shares the unit with me has an AUQ engine with a brand new k03s on it and ecu which he's selling me, so need a wiring loom and fuel pump!

Will start cleaning up the bay etc this week and figuring out what I need.

Will update soon.

Edited by daveb142

looking good, you gonna wire the AUQ yourself?

Thanks mate! Yeah hopefully. Might use an AGU loom and ECU so I can run a cable throttle..... not sure yet!

Didn't get much done today, helped a mate with his golf and then took the gearbox off of the 2.0l. Will get more done next week.

Been working so haven't done too much. Took the flywheel off of the engine and removed the driveshafts the other day.

Also put some ****ty temporary wheels on it for now.

null_zpsa7e35842.jpg

Also took off the plastic under the windscreen. Was a right ballache as it was siliconed down....also found some rust.

null_zpsf05962f6.jpg

null_zps938a75fe.jpg

There's not too much of it however will scrape it back and see if I can treat it.

Also removed the snapped bonnet release cable, scuttle panel, wipers, ecu and started removing the tape around the engine wiring harness and tracing back the wires I need and don't need. Will remove the dash too at somepoint this week!

null_zpsf4515868.jpg

null_zps086a1da9.jpg

You can see the spots of silicone in the picture above, just below the windscreen.

We also put 12v to the starter motor of the 20vt i'm using to go in the corrado and turned the engine over. All seems fine there so looking forward to removing it!

Not too much progress has been done lately, mainly been researching and spending money!

Started to clean up the bay a little bit, need to invest in a steam cleaner mind. Quite impressed so far though, minimal rust!

null_zpse3f14d41.jpg

null_zps171acb5b.jpg

null_zps17980d6e.jpg

After a quick clean and wax removal

null_zps832b1754.jpg

null_zps8ac990ca.jpg

Like mentioned, need a steam cleaner!

Also i've decided i'm going to run AGU management and setup (apart from the turbo) on the AUQ engine I have.

null_zps33da7c79.jpg

Transfered the wiring loom across. Unfortunately it was missing important things such as the ignition amp, maf sensor and the air pressure sensor! However managed to find one breaking and picked up all these parts, coilpacks and lamda for cheap :)

null_zps2f97ae97.jpg

null_zps252739be.jpg

Almost new k03s from essex turbos

null_zps6da4a767.jpg

I've also had the alarm removed as it didn't work. This means when it comes to wiring in the new loom I shouldn't have any unexpected issues with starting etc!

Need to buy an intercooler, ECU, clutch and boost piping still....and after reading some threads I'm thinking of fully respraying the car whilst it's mostly stripped...will see!

Oh also I managed to win some g60 clocks on ebay for £2.20! 8)

Really not much has happened since i've last updated this. I've removed the abs pump and some more wiring from the bay and that's about it.....been working full time so I can start putting some more money into this :) thinking of stripping it down and going for a full respray now!

Will hopefully be able to upload some updates this week!

Cheers

Dave

So a little overdue update.....well, I haven't really done much since last time! Been working full time so haven't had the chance!

Anyway, ended up buying that gearbox off of Spuey / Joe! Have almost completed the list of what I need to buy and getting an idea of the wiring.

After refitting the headlining to the Polo, I got pretty bored and decided to transfer the gearbox mount and slave cylinder over to the new gearbox....

One thing led to another...

null_zps8559ce3b.jpg

Kinda got carried away.

null_zpsd37cffa6.jpg

null_zpsf775e84c.jpg

Think the sump is gonna be the lowest point of the car. Might get a shallow sump or raise the engine up a little bit..will see!

null_zpsc3b5f1d9.jpg

Also not sure if the downpipe is going to be a problem or not, quite close to the steering collumn... sure it will be fine though

null_zps8c381036.jpg

null_zps85bd8270.jpg

Anyway it's my 21st next month, so will be starting to get a few more parts ordered for the Corrado and can make some progress!

Now the engine's in I can mock up where I will splice into the loom and where I'm going to move some things.

Hopefully the next update won't take so long!

Good progress! If you're opting for the Qpeng downpipe, it clears your steering UJ/ rubber boot fine! Just a word of warning, it'll melt fairly quickly unless you put some heat shielding on the rubber boot. But don't wrap the qpeng downpipe if you get one, as it'll cause the welds to crack next to the flexi! Another thing- Just had to put a new turbo on my mk2 20vt, make sure you put new studs/ make sure old ones are lubed for the exhaust mani if you get chance whilst the engines out- massive pain in the arse when they sheer off when the engine's fully in the car! Something I forgot to do when i converted it and it caused me hours of extra annoyance lol. ALthough looking at your nice shiny new turbo doubt you'll be needing to take it off any time soon!

Edited by Pat.

Thanks man. I'm going for a "trackslag" downpipe! Apparently very good! And ah awesome thanks for the information. Yeah will most likely get new studs and nuts anyway! Haha hopefully not! Gonna try and replace most things whilst the engine's out so I won't have any issues later down the line :)

Fair play! Have only heard good things about the trackslag downpipes. Welds look spot on too, either way they're both good value for the quality you get! Yeah good idea, I bet it's nice that you have the polo so you don't have to rush getting the engine in :) Have you figured out what resistors you'll need to get your gauges to work with the mk4 wiring? (I'm still yet to find the right one to get my temp gauge to read right!)

Yeah I've heard really good things about the quality of their welds and such! Oh yeah mate it's a big relief not having to worry about rushing it! Plus love the little polo haha! Not just yet. Once I start tackling it I'll post up what results I find :)

So edition38 has been and gone, which means I now have time to make a move on with this!

Took the engine back out

null_zps4149cf02.jpg

null_zps0d2178ff.jpg

Started stripping down the engine:

null_zpsc09287b9.jpg

null_zps4ca05811.jpg

Bought a load of new parts for it from VW yesterday, various gaskets, suction pipe etc. Hoping to order the downpipe and intercooler within the month. Also have bought a load of new nuts and bolts for the Corrado itself.

I was missing the OBDII port from the loom I got, so cut one out of my mates lupo he is breaking. Just need to find a place for it and extend the wires!:

null_zps878f7d54.jpg

Oh, also got these out of my mates lupo to go in the front ;)

79fb9e77-b2d1-4fb5-9c1c-0ba2d09ce9c8_zpsd5345bd4.jpg

Also a few pictures from Edition38:

This had me brewing a semi.

null_zps1b30e968.jpg

My mate Phil's polo:

null_zpsa6bcd960.jpg

(on the left)

null_zps08030330.jpg

null_zps19ee0c87.jpg

CJ's MK2

null_zpsada363a4.jpg

Matt's MK1:

[null_zpseba32d21.jpg

null_zpsc9aff589.jpg

null_zpscf84dee8.jpg

null_zps7af50ef6.jpg

null_zpse3063ef9.jpg

null_zps11d6a600.jpg

And thennn my phone died so no more pictures haha.

More updates soon!

Edited by daveb142

Few updates.

Started stripping down the rest of engine bay.

null_zpse0a81ec4.jpg

null_zps5f38529e.jpg

null_zps296bfdfd.jpg

Gonna go get the bearings taking out of the hubs this week. Starting to wire brush the hubs back. Will get them all painted whilst the bearings are out.

null_zpsbec1e41f.jpg

Also bought all new subframe bolts. (along with many others for the car, bloody expensive)

null_zps5cee44f7.jpg

Both wishbones were shot so binned them, gonna replace the tie rods and ends, ball joints and drop links whilst i'm there. Also probably gonna re-do all the brake lines....

I've noticed behind one wing towards the front of the car there has been a dodgy repair, so will take the wing off tomorrow and look at that properly.

Anyway, plan to get the rest of the bay stripped this week and drop the sub-frame off of the car! Back to uni on monday!

Will update soon.