Sign in to follow this  
Dilated

AA Parts and Labour Cover

I think we mentioned this before, could be wrong, but my point was that this will only cover parts and labour required to make good a *breakdown*. This is not a mechanical warranty... If you lose a hose *at the roadside*, they'll replace the hose (not bad then!), but if you fail the MOT on emissions, your timing chains are rattly and your steering rack is loose, you won't get anything back from the AA..

Yea I understand that, but say for example your coil pack "packs in" or whatever else could go wrong, might it be worth it for those situations? Obviously if something has gone when the cars at home, you get ya mate to tow it down the road then call em...

A failing coil pack very rarely completely strands a VR6, most failures tend to be irritants that don't strand you anywhere, and hence won't be covered. Coolant system though, that will strand a car. So maybe it's worth it for stuff like that, but I have a feeling there's exclusions... I can't remember what the exclusions were, but basically I think there were enough that I wasn't going to bother with it.

Check the small print..

o) the Vehicle is no more than 10 years old and has no more than 100,000 recorded miles when you register it with us

o) defects you knew or ought reasonably to have known about prior to the commencement of the journey on which the breakdown occurred;

o) failure of an insured component due to gradual deterioration, commensurate with the age and/or mileage of the vehicle;

this last one is the killer. Coil pack's 8 years old? Oh dear. Probably about time it failed then.

The "plus" policy, which is £100 a year does cover "normal wear and tear" tho, but even that has the exclusion about "faults you should have known about when you started the journey".

Dunno man, in some ways it sounds ok, but I'm right out with 118k miles, and I can't help thinking that you can't get a decent car warranty from an expensive company like the AA for cheap cash...

You'll find most people that offer warranties will have a 100k cut off, they know it's too risky :)