Jonny777

Coolant temp gauge not working!

Good afternoon all! Just recently picked myself up a Corrado VR6 after being out of the Corrado game for 2 years and was just beginning to assess the little issues i've got.

Its a K Reg and at the moment the Coolant temperature gauge isn't working at all. So have been using the Oil temp on the MFA as a guide.

Any ideas on what it is that caused it to not work full stop? Is it going to be a sender issue or most likely the dash clocks?

Thanks!

Edited by Jonny777

Would have thought , either relay Inthe wrong place ? See fourth page on posts or find in using the search , or a fuse , or like you said the sender , has to be one of them . Just a process of illimination

I did a search a few days ago and I couldn't find one that didn't work full stop, just that was being erratic. I might have missed one though.

Are those things particularly difficult to do/to find?

I think the yellow sender is the one for the gauge.Someone will correct me if im wrong . Your senders are found on the front of the block , they are under a plastic cover . You will see a plastic circlip , pull that out and the sender will come out , these have a rubber 'o' ring ,make sure if its not on the end of the sender ,to take it out of the hole as the new one comes with a new ring ,trust me you dont want two in there !.As for the fuses im not sure which one operates this ? or which relay . If you type in temp sender in the search it will come up with the relay problem .

Rob

I have been doing a lot of troubleshooting of the temp gauge lately (mine went uo to about 90C when I turned ignition on, and stayed there, even with a cold car).

robrado974 is correct, the yellow sensor is the one that goes to the gauge - to be more specific it's the blue/white cable, there is also two ground wires on this connector, and the last one goes to fan control module.

The white/blue cable will go all the way to the cluster harness on pin 23 (it's the 28 pin connector harness of your cluster).

What I would do as a test (presuming you have a multimeter), check the voltage between ground and the blue/white cable, it should read aprox 10V (with ignition on), the cable for fan-control module should read aprox 12V

Also check if there is a relay in position 5 (number 2 from right side in the upper row of relays), I think it should be either a relay 43 or left empty.

If there is also trouble with your fuel gauge the voltage stabiliser in the cluster might be causing this.......

---------- Post added at 7:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:16 PM ----------

Thought I'd add a bit more - if the voltage check out fine, I would just try to replace the sensor, if you want to make sure the line is ok, you can connect a wire into the connector and "ohm" it from the pin 23 on the cluster harness.

Also , if you are going to change one sender you may as well change all three while your at it

Rob

Lovely stuff, well its a start then! Will check into why its not working.

Thanks for the advice gents!

Bumping this up as I never got around to sorting it. Finally putting the car back on the road 3 years later. Oops.

Does anybody have the part numbers for the sensors I need?

Cheers guys.