VW_OwneR_85

vr6 engine number location?

need some help on this , i cant find it for love nor money!!, iv looked all over my old vr6 and i can the 2.8-2.9 stamping/ moulding above the crack pipe but cannot find the engine number, i actualy need the one from my 24v but im going to assume there in the same location..

thanks matt, deffo not there on either of the vr6's i have though, thats actualy the first place i looked aswell :(

just saw an image on google of it being below the chain tensioner bolt, will have a look tomo!!

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Nope its not there either!! wtf! theres a nice flat bit of metal which looks like the perfect place to put it but nothing! im starting to think this engine number on the block is a myth for some production vr6's, i know you have the sticker on the cam cover above the aux belt tensioner with the number on but thats no longer there, i need the engine number to put into the log book as i swaped the engine over, im tempted to just put BDE ...

edit - i also phoned a vw dealer and gave them the chassis numbe of the car it came from but all they can get from that is the engine code...

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

You could try the DVLA, but they are 'good' at keeping everything confidential. The engine code letters are a series of dots. not the traditional stamp, and hard to see in rust.

I saw some weird circle logo with numbers that i couldn't work out, think its the manufacture date stamp.

The engine code letters are a series of dots. not the traditional stamp, and hard to see in rust.

so on the block it would have dots and then numbers?..

, jim ill have another butchers tomo but just to the right of alternator above the crack pipe thats where it has 2.8-2.9 theres also a number in rust but im fairly certain it isnt the engine number as it doesnt match the number thats written down on my log book for my old engine , my old engine according to zee logbook is ABV007793 , this number is none existant on my 12v unless its been changed but i dont think it has as my 12v still has the sticker on the cam cover , guess i better get myself under the corrado and hope theres enough blady room to search for that number on the 24v

It's also stamped up in good old plain numbers and letters to the left lower corner when you are looking at the crank pulley. You can see it with the drivers wheel removed. It's in 2 places on the 24v, I can't remember where the other place is but I know I have that number there on my AUE lump.