Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Cable run from back of H/U for iPod...

Ok - I know this is probably a really stupid question, but I wonder if any of you guys could just humour me.

Instead of buying a seperate MP3 capable head unit, I am going to buy an in car dock / cradle for my iPod (they do an excellent one which sits in the cigarette lighter socket and acts as a cradle and a charger) and just plug it into the line in on my Sony head unit.

I pulled the head unit out earlier and tried it out, and it works like a charm.. so now I just want a little advice on how I am supposed to route this cable. Its just a small headphone to L/R phono connector lead but I couldn't see anywhere obvious in the area where the head unit goes where I am supposed to drop cables down or feed them out anywhere.

Would it be best if I just took all of the under dash covers / plastic out and then found a way through there?

in the cubbyhole thingy by the side of the fag lighter,if you feel the top of the cubbyhole there should be a rubber grommet with a slit in it,i think that would be the best place for the cale to come from...unless you have already got clocks in that place

Unfortunately I already have the cubby hole occupied by a gauge panel and a boost gauge :(

I was wondering if there was some way I could run it into the ash tray and then coil up the cable and pop it in there when I am not using it?

Possibly.

I've just never really taken the dash apart before - does the ash tray just pop out of the dash?

I don't think my ash tray has an internal light - my Corrado has the earlier interior, with slider heater controls.

Hmmm that's a shame, wearnt sure if the early dash's had the light,

But when u take the ashtray out u can see inside above there is a light which illuminates the ashtray at night, was thinking you could pull this out and run your wire up there, i had to run a power wire of this light for my additional gauges so have pulled most of this area apart before.

in the cubbyhole thingy by the side of the fag lighter,if you feel the top of the cubbyhole there should be a rubber grommet with a slit in it,i think that would be the best place for the cale to come from...unless you have already got clocks in that place

I just got a Creative Zen Micro for my birthday and am now looking to connect it up to my head unit. Should I just be able to drop the cable down and then route it through the grommet that is mentioned, or is there a special route that needs to be taken with having the heater controls etc in the way? FYI I have the earlier dash.

1year, 1 month and 11 days! :| Holy thread resurrection batman! :crazyeyes: :lol:

kerrinmay, yup, just drop the cable down the back, there's bags of room back there! 8) It's loads easier if you take off the passenger side lower dash shelf and lie in the footwell so you can see what you're doing... 8)

Thanks. Just ordered the required cables, so hopefully might have them for the weekend and I can have a go! When I get in the car after work I'll have a look to see if I can find the grommet in the roof of the cubby hole. Would anyone be able to advise if it's nearer the back or the front of the cubby hole?

P.S. I do try to be good and search before posting, but sometimes there are just so many threads to read through! Luckily not many people have written about this topic!

I checked last night and there is no hole with grommet anywhere in my cubby hole! Was this just on the later spec dash? I really didn't want to have to drill any holes anywhere, but guess I'll have to now. Where exactly should this hole be? I'm guessing somewhere towards the back, for ease of dropping a cable through it.

the cable ure talking bout, is it just a headphone jack, 1 end with a right a left plug on the other end, the types u use with stereo's n stuff. Do most car stereo's hav the left and right socket on em. cheers

I took the bit of plastic out of the top of the ashtray and fed the wire into there. I dont have a grommet in the cubby hole on mine, maybe a previous owner drilled a hole and put one in?.

the cable ure talking bout, is it just a headphone jack, 1 end with a right a left plug on the other end, the types u use with stereo's n stuff. Do most car stereo's hav the left and right socket on em. cheers

Unfortunately that's not the case with my head unit, needed a cable to plug in where the CD multichanger would connect, which I now have and it works great. The only left/right sockets I have on my head unit are for output not input.

o thats a shame because products like the itrip and belkins are not as good as a cable, any1 no of any stereo's which hav the left right inputs. ta