Ruggy

Opinions On All Orange Rears

Looking for opinions on something I'm considering doing with some spare rear lights I've got.

At the moment I'm running with half red/half clear rear lights. I've got a spare set of standard lights that I'm thinking of making all orange, instead of the usual all red. Planning on using 'Tamiya Acrylic Spray - Clear Orange', it's the stuff the use on plastic radio controlled cars.

By the way these would be going on a Classic Green Corrado.

Cheers

imo that would look horrid, cant beat all red ;) , but not forgetting there is different shades of red available for this application if you step outside the box ,

Yeah possibly, but all red is so common now and for the sake of £5 if it looks **** I can just use some thinners and wipe the paint off.

i dont mean to sound blunt but it will look s**** unless its more red then orange then maybe be ok , to prep them lights properly you need to mask them includeing the center strip , takes time , if it was me idd only want to prep these once, by the time you have wiped the paint off you could of applied a nice 2k clear coat to a nice red base and be done ;) dont forget to key the lights to 600grit,

Dare to be different man, could be the next big thing. And as you say if it looks bobbins rub it off and go red :)

Be careful with thinners and plastic - if you melt / frost the lenses you will be pretty angry. Test on a small corner first!

Personally I think orange top and red bottom looks awesome:

orange2.jpg

...but be aware tinted rear lights are now an MOT failure as of 2012 so be careful!

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light’s intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators

Stone

Orange top red bottom looks good. Though i like the all reds.

Problem with all orange is the brake lights will look orange too. Least with all red rears, you can put green bulbs in for the indicators.

Do like the look of half orange half red, new MOT regulations look like knocking any tinting ideas on the head though!

Only if it reduces light intensity or changes it's output colour. (Yellow light output at the front is still legal though btw.) :thumbleft: We get asked about this a lot at work, it doesn't help when people fit a sign writing graphics vinyl over their lights! :suprised: Or fit silly red/blue sidelight bulbs etc. We are actually glad of the new regulations to stop people doing dangerous things like that.

A lot of the club rallying guys we supply have to have their cars MOT'd and there's never been a problem. If light output isn't sufficient then the car should rightly fail whether there's a product fitted or not.

Anyway...lol. All Amber wouldn't look right imo, half and half. Yes. Almost OEM/OEM+.

Neil.

Riley: please explain how your reverse light can shine white after you've tinted the lens orange? Changes the output colour...

Stone

Reverse light is not part of the MOT check, so you could get away with it in that respect Stone.

I'm liking the half orange/half red idea, especially if reverse light isn't part of the MOT test. Put a fair few number of coats of lacquer on them and get them polished up so they're nice and shiny.

I'm liking the half orange/half red idea, especially if reverse light isn't part of the MOT test. Put a fair few number of coats of lacquer on them and get them polished up so they're nice and shiny.

Really, wow! Definitely go with half-orange then, I might even do mine :)

EDIT: Whoops! I didn't realise there was a second page. Beaten to it by Seanl:thumbleft:

Hi Stone, reverse lights aren't part of a UK MOT. I'm not suggesting our product would be suitable for this at all by the way, it may well not be. Samples can be had to have a more informed idea of that... But the painted method can give superb results if protection isn't being considered. :thumbleft:

EDIT2!: Give it a shot, it does look really good with half orange/red imo!

​Neil.

Edited by Riley

Riley: please explain how your reverse light can shine white after you've tinted the lens orange? Changes the output colour...

Stone

If you use LEDs the reverse lights shine white with a very slight tint, hardly noticeable. Same with the indicators, use LEDs and they bring out more of the orange from the original unit than the red tint.

EDIT: Whoops! I didn't realise there was a second page. Beaten to it by Seanl:thumbleft:

Hi Stone, reverse lights aren't part of a UK MOT. I'm not suggesting our product would be suitable for this at all by the way, it may well not be. Samples can be had to have a more informed idea of that... But the painted method can give superb results if protection isn't being considered. :thumbleft:

EDIT2!: Give it a shot, it does look really good with half orange/red imo!

​Neil.

Hi mate, any chance I can get a sample of the amber film?

Cheers

Of course...Clicky here.

In all honesty the Corrado rear lights aren't the easiest to apply our product to, but a good finish can be had with heat/patience/cleanliness during fitting. Painting will give more options for final finish colour too but feel free to request any samples to have a play with/look at.

Bare in mind that our new Amber light protection is really only designed to go over a clear lens so it would be interesting to see it on the rear of a Corrado...I'm not sure it will work myself but you never know.:bonk:

Neil.

Thanks mate

In theory I should only need to use the amber film to cover the reverse light section, dependant on how well the colour matches to the standard amber of the lights.

Ah yes, I almost forgot that the oem lights were nearly all Amber up top anyway, It's with having owned a modified one for too long! :lol: