Overmind

A word of warning. Gearbox related skulduggery.

Hi guys.

Anyone that's seen my build thread will see I stripped the CCM gearbox in my Corrado VR6. Second gear synchro was very weak which was confirmed by its condition when I removed it.

f2bca6b6af9fc834e00e431ede76cf4c_zpsb4c0baf6.jpg

eb0b05caeba6e1f0c7c18beafb37f56c_zpsa29caac6.jpg

Since stripping this I have found that this particular synchro 02A311269D (or the synchro of doom as I like to call it) is no longer available, completely obsolete and all new ones have been rounded up and wiped off the face of the planet...:scratch:

From what I can work out, VW used the early synchro 02A311269F up to 1993-1994 ish. Then bought out a new synchro which is 02A311269D. This was discontinued in approx 1996 and they went back to the older type which was continued into the early 02J boxes.

This shows the difference between 02A311269F (upper) and 02A311269D (lower)

8e32550d6ce7ad263522342e658336db_zps759aefd0.jpg

So just a word of warning to those with late VR6's. If this synchro is on the way out, abandon all hope and drive it into the sea:mad2: (as you can see I'm quite mentally scarred by this experience.) The only way around it is to change the input shaft, 1st and 2nd gear and the synchro hub to the earlier style.

Cheers. A very pi**ed off Bryn.

Had VR's for 10 years and never seen this before, so I'm not that worried!!

Good investigative work Bryn; are we talking about early v late CCM code boxes or are the earlier boxes a different code?

M.