Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

4 to 5 Stud conversion?

After searching for a long ass time to find some wheels I really like, I've finally decided that I'll get some Oettinger RE's.. however these are only available in a 5 stud pattern, I was wondering whats involved in converting my G60 4 stud wheel area (you can see I know what I'm talking about :roll: :oops: ) to the VR6 5 stud?

Bournemouth 20VT James, explained that he is going to do the same conversion his corrado, but his way sounds kinda expensive:

eurospec sport in the US sell the custom hubs then i'm gunna get some custom 305mm rotors and bells in a 5 stud pattern to run with my brembo cailapers

Is there an easier way, simply transferring bits from the VR6 over to the G60? and what kind of cost would I be looking at for this, taking into account I'll try get all bits required second hand?

Thanks for any info

Chris

I had a look at the littlespiderdesign website a few months back when i first started thinking about the conversion, the guy that did that conversion is on the vortex forum, and the eurospec hubs were not available at the time when he did the conversion

Yeah the way im doing it does sound a bit expensive, probably cause i want to use 305mm discs and 4 pot caliapers,

But the main part of the conversion is the hub, if you were to use vr6 hubs, you will need vr6 outter cv joints also, and you would need to get 1mm machined off the outside edge of the hub, and new holes drilled for your abs rings (if your car has abs)

In my opinion, buying the eurospec hubs would be the best option, i emailed eurospec and the 2 hubs including p&p to england costs $175, i think thats about £100, ok maybe a little more expensive, but alot less hasle

Ok...now on to the discs, there are no right discs to buy really, the vr6 discs wont fit, so if you want to aviod drilling yours discs, you could maybe ask black diamond, or any other brake manufactorer if you could buy some blank g60 discs, before they've drilled the 4x100 pattern in them, and then get them drilled to 5x100 yourself.

Eurospec do a complete 280mm conversion kit for $325, but i think the discs they supply with that particular kit are 4x100 drilled to 5x100 not sure what the postage on that would be though

They do other complete kits starting at 288mm where you would get proper 5x100 discs included

Take a look:

http://www.eurospecsport.com/

mate mkIII golf gti front hubs and then use vr6 discs

and rear vr6 disks

job done

exactlly ... :lol:

mate mkIII golf gti front hubs and then use vr6 discs

and rear vr6 disks

job done

exactlly ... :lol:

I really wish it was as simple as that, i've searched the web for months and months, and found lots of info and ways of doing it, and no ones mentioned using mkIII hubs, surley if it was that simple, there would be no need for companies to make conversion hubs?

vr6 front discs wont fit, different offset

yeah, the rear is simple, vr6 rear discs

here is a guy that did it in america

http://littlespiderdesign.com/vdub/5Lug/

as for the hubs i know a few that done it and the golf mkIII hubs have the correct spine as the vr6 ones are fatter

as for the discs i know the vr one on the corrado are the same as g60 as g60 setup is identical except ones 4 stud the other is 5

here is a guy that did it in america

as for the hubs i know a few that done it and the golf mkIII hubs have the correct spine as the vr6 ones are fatter

as for the discs i know the vr one on the corrado are the same as g60 as g60 setup is identical except ones 4 stud the other is 5

So the mark 3 hubs have same spine pattern as the c vr6 hubs, but the c vr6 hubs are slightly larger in diameter?, is that right?

So if i was to use mk3 hubs, there would be no need to get 1mm machined off the outside edge of the hub as explained in the littlespiderdesign website?

Im still unsure about the vr6 discs thou, there are 5 seperate threads on it on the vortex forum, and they all say the vr6 discs wont fit?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?& ... 29#5331929

phatvr6 has gone from 4 to 5 stud on his corrado i think :?

Phat swapped the ENTIRE engine, subframes, arms, shafts the lot, all in one hit...

From what you guys are saying im starting to think this is us spec thing, hence why they are saying the vr6 discs wont fit

Maybe the us slc/vr6 setup is slightly different to the uk vr6, could that be the case?

Rears are a straight swap, i am un sure about the mks hubs, from what i can gather, the mk3 hubs have the correct spline pattern, not sure if you would need any machined off the outside edge, or if the abs rings would fit (if your car has abs)

As for the vr6 front discs, some people are saying they do fit, and the guy on the little spider website and on the vortex forum are saying they dont.......so i dont know

Myths out then - vr6 hubs will fit a 4stud car, BUT you will also need to change your wishbones, ARB, and driveshafts. The VR setup has a wider track, hence the different driveshafts, and also a larger outer CV. The wishbones need to be changed because of the fitment of the bottom balljoint and these arent interchangeable with the 4 stud bottom balljoint. The ARB needs to be changed because the wishbone has a different fitment.

Not straightforward in an idea, but its dead easy to change. The rear is simple as mentioned above, just a disc swap, BUT the rear will then be 10mm narrower per side

VR6 Golf stuff is exactly the same as VR Corrado stuff when talking about the front end hubs, wishbones, ARB etc

If you want the 305mm brembo kit, but on 5stud, then you are going to have to do what I have done - take a 4 stud hub, remove the drive flange and the bearing, replace bearing and press in 5 stud VR hub. Replace outer CV with VR item and reassemble. Take one 4 stud 305mm disc, redrill to 5*100 stud pattern and assemble with Brembo caliper. Fit wheel, job done. I have personally done this on my car to get the 305mm brembo kit on a 5 stud application.

As a side note, the MK4 Ibiza Cupra appears to have 5*100 brembo's on what I am assuming to be VR hubs - I havent seen it in the metal yet, but I am fairly certain that this will be a bolt on upgrade for the VR corrado's

As a side note, the MK4 Ibiza Cupra appears to have 5*100 brembo's on what I am assuming to be VR hubs - I havent seen it in the metal yet, but I am fairly certain that this will be a bolt on upgrade for the VR corrado's

You mean these ones? ;) 8) (Pic taken at Birmingham Motorshow)

t_ibiza_brakes.jpg

Those would be 'em :D

Would be after more info, but seeing as tho I have fitted mine and with all the hassle of finding out the info

the other way of fitting Brembo 305s to the VR6 is to get hold of some custom bell and disk sets so you can choose the offest of the disk, PCD etc to make sure they fit perfectly... This is how John Mitchell (16VG60) has done it on his G60 as they also have the added advantage of being significantly lighter than the genuine Seat disks which weigh a ton! 8) I'm pretty sure if you asked John, he could get hold of a set of 5x100 disks of this style made up to fit with the Brembos on a VR6... 8) ;)

There is that, but the problem I faced was getting my wheels to fit. I desperately wanted 15's to fit over these brakes and had wheels to do so - Compomotive MO's in ET20 - the problem with the VR hubs with this combo is that they required a bigger spacer than the 14mm that I tried. The mounting lugs on the hub for the carrier are further towards the face of the drive flange than on a 4 stud hub, which meant that everything moved closer towards the face. The actual fitment would have worked well with a turned down 312 disc, the offset match being very close, but there wasnt a hope in hells chance of a 15" wheel fitting over it and under the arch

Still, for further reference its interesting to know that someone has tried custom bells and rotors, the only other person that I have heard of doing this warped them during the bed in process. I dont suppose you have any more details on this? (before I PM John)

Jonh is currently making me some custom 305mm two piece bells/discs in a 5 stud pattern, the bells only being the custom part as the discs that fit them are an off the shelf item

From reading this whole thread and the little spider wesbite, i think the easyest way on converting the front is to buy the eurospec front hubs

As for wanting to use 305mm setup on a vr6, i dont see the point when the 312mm setup from the leon is a straight swap on to the vr6

yeah, but it costs double what the Ibiza setup costs! :?

Right then....I emailed mike who hosts the little spider website and has done the conversion in the us, this is the email he sent back:

James,

No, I dont mind you e-mailing me. If you have any more questions, just send them my way.

I'm not sure about the VR6 disks in the UK, but i would think that they are the same as the US spec... You cannot use the US spec VR6 disks for the conversion - the offset is different. They will physicaly fit on the hubs (since they are VR6 hubs), but when it comes time to install the brakes, they won't line up. If you place both rotors flat on a table (like a plate), you will see that the G60 rotor has about 1CM more offset that the VR6 rotor. (The 4 cyl rotor will be taller.)

They are correct about the MK3 hubs - they are the same as a VR6 corrado. (same part number)

Also - don't be afraid to drill the rotors. Since they are sandwitched between the wheel and hub you do not risk breaking anything by drilling them. I have had the conversion on my car (Driven Daily) for almost 4 years with NO problems. I drive VERY aggresively, and I pretty much grew up on an autocross course. Saftey is always first - period. I would have never drilled the rotors unless I knew for sure that it was 100% safe.

BTW, I used to live in London... I worked for the London International Foreign Futures and Options exchange (LIFFE) back in 97-98 in the IT Implement and Change department.

-Mike

So basically the mk3 golf hubs will require the same modifications as the c vr6 hubs as explained in his website, as they are both exsackely the same.

The vr6 discs, unless they are different to the us spec items....they wont fit

This is the link to eurospecs webite who sells the custom 5 stud hub that fits any 4 stud corrado, then you would have to drill your existing 4 stud discs to 5 stud or get some custom bells and discs made up

http://www.eurospecsport.com/introduction.htm

This is a link to mikes site:

Mods: Any chance we could make this a "sticky"