craigowl

VR6 radiator - recommendations.

Original is still on my car after 18 years. Not a drop of coolant lost, no problems. However, I believe in replacing before it fails at inconvenient time and place.

I see they range, new, from £110 to about £210 on ebay. (Dearest is by Nissen - I had one of theirs for the Pug 205GLD.)

Anybody got any advice on choices - good or bad?

Regards and thanks

Iain

Definitely use the search function for more information on this one... VR6 radiators have been discussed a load in the last few months :)

The short and skinny answer is that the Hella VR6 radiator (which I think can be found on eBay) is very good and well worth your money.

Have often heard people say to use the VW dealer supplied one and seen quite a few threads where people are having troubles with other versions. But i don't feel my VW one is anything special.

I don't know who makes the VW one, but noticed mine says made in England on it. I still think my original one the car came with was better made than any replacement, even a VW replacement. I have heard the same said about the exhausts. I know i went to VW to get exhaust manifod gaskets and they weren't any near the quality of the originals i had just removed.

I'd stick with your original TBH, unless you are seeing obvious rust spots or flex in joints around the sides and you're worried it's going to start leaking soon.

Mine got replaced with a Eurocarparts special about six years back and it's "alright", but it didn't fit properly..

Thanks guys.

Yes - always do a search first, Jim, but didn't find anything much with my search words.

Yes, original equipment seems great in a lot of cases, my exhaust lasted for about 16 years.

Don't want the rad to fail in our busy High Street - just like the fuel pump did.

dr_mat, I follow your sensible view here, but I am 68 and don't welcome challenges like that now!

Local garage quotes £110 plus VAT, excluding labour, so I will go with them on Wednesday. They are fussy and reliable and will see me OK if there are any problems.

Watch out, they may not be aware that radiator replacement is a slam-panel-off job .. (by the book).

You can wiggle it out sideways if you remove the battery though. Pain in the ass..

The original Denso Marston is no longer available from VW hence having to go the aftermarket route if you want a VR radiator :(

The original Denso Marston is no longer available from VW hence having to go the aftermarket route if you want a VR radiator :(

Thanks, Jim.

I recall that name now you mention it.

Annoyingly the G60 and 16V radiators are available on VW Classic Parts - hopefully only a matter of time till they get VR6 ones made up!

A company called adrad do a hella one for around 105 delivered , sure its wat it cost me , fitted perfect and i havent had a drop of cooland lost since fitting it a couple a months ago , remember to check the top rad hose aswell , mine had a small crack in it and was leaking slightly from there , they tend to get brittle with old age