mystic8v

g60 temp gauge at 80 whilst driving

hi,i read lots of cooling threads for g60s cooling/overheating but my g60 whilst driving only gets up to 80 on the temp gauge but if you let it idle from cold it goes to around 90 to 100 with the first fan speed kicking in and controlling the temp ok,it doesnt overheat.As part of restoring the car I have replaced the head gasket,head pressure tested okay,replaced the thermostat,reservoir and cap with all genuine parts and refilled with correct coolant,i have checked the sender reading with an external temp gauge which matches the gauge,is it normal or should the temp sit at 90 not 80? how can i confirm the thermostat is the correct way around(mentioned on a previous thread) any help cheers

Did you replace the thermostat with the same specification? You can get ones which open up at a cooler temperature. - same goes for the fan switch.

Image for getting it the right way round:

[ATTACH]74682[/ATTACH]

Did you replace the thermostat with the same specification? You can get ones which open up at a cooler temperature. - same goes for the fan switch.

Image for getting it the right way round:

[ATTACH]74682[/ATTACH]

It sounds ok to me (I'm no expert but similar to how mine runs and I've had no problems). I recently fitted the low temp fan switch and thermostat which have helped cool things down as was running hot before (hotter than you state your is)...although this may have been partially due to the fan being wired the wrong way round by the previous owner!

The genuine parts are apparently still available through Volkswagen but my local dealer were no help finding them (said they could not get them at all) so I ended up buying them through AwsomeGTI

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk2?subpart=442

I later found out from someone else on another forum that worked for VW that the genuine parts should not be a problem to get and he kindly even offered to source them for me but I had already bought them so if you insist on genuine parts its worth being persistent. I'll try and find the part numbers if needed.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

It sounds ok to me (I'm no expert but similar to how mine runs and I've had no problems). I recently fitted the low temp fan switch and thermostat which have helped cool things down as was running hot before (hotter than you state your is)...although this may have been partially due to the fan being wired the wrong way round by the previous owner!

The genuine parts are apparently still available through Volkswagen but my local dealer were no help finding them (said they could not get them at all) so I ended up buying them through AwsomeGTI

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk2?subpart=442

I later found out from someone else on another forum that worked for VW that the genuine parts should not be a problem to get and he kindly even offered to source them for me but I had already bought them so if you insist on genuine parts its worth being persistent. I'll try and find the part numbers if needed.