daytona600

Why is selling my VR6 so hard?

I honestly thought that when I put my VR6 up for sale that it would sell fairly quickly. It's been on pistonheads for 6 weeks and on here for nearly as long. All I have had is a couple of "tire kicking" emails. I think I have the price right (dropped from 3540 to 2995), it's low miles for the year (124k on a 93 plate). Maybe there just aren't enough buyers for this type of car? Am I asking too much? I would be interested to hear from other members on their selling experience. Do I sit tight? Try Auto Trader or just keep it for a few more years? I could do with the cash but I won't give it away. Thoughts please gents ;-)

Personally, I dont respect AP coilovers and believe genuine 17" monzas only came in 5x112.

If I were looking to buy, I'd want to replace both these things which is a lot of additional expense.

The car itself looks great. If it were on standard wheels and suspension I feel you might get more interest. At the moment I'd write it off as being modded on the cheap.

Edited by bristolbaron

Agree with baz the more oem at the mo the better and ap's not for me either if you don't need to sell just now don't but don't expect to make a fortune when thing's do change with the way it is setup at the mo.

tbh, I don't think red is the best colour for the corrado - so that's possibly biggest problem (not that I don't like red cars myself, just think metallics are better in this case). The ph ad doesn't have that much info in it really (unless I've missed something). Does everything work? The mot has 5 months left (not terrible, but not great either) - what happened on the last MOT - any advisories, anything that's going to need doing this time 'round. Personally, I'm not keen on the wheels, and as said above, I think standard wheels would make it look so much better. (Finally, a pet hate of mine - "very clean inside and out" - means nothing to me, just some standard phrase trade sellers use).

Good luck with sale though - I think it's just a case of being patient to get the price you want. I'd certainly consider Autotrader (and ebay)....

Join the club, just put mine up for sale today - wasnt an easy decision, but needs must. Though dont expect the phone to be ringing off the hook as it were, as its a small market for selling these cars.

People doesn't pay much for Corrado this days. Usual price for vr6 with your millage is around £2k. You need to find somebody who loves it to pay what you want as typical person doesn't care how much you put in and how many new parts was recently fitted. For most people it is 20 years old car not worth a lot.

You can get genuine 17 5x100 monzas BTW. They are not diamond cut though, just your normal alloy silver paint. The diamond cut versions were for the 18" versions. That is, unless you have the 17" versions diamond cut as part of a refurb.

For me, I don't like the red. I like the darker colours personally.

I was kind of thinking the same re the mods. When looking for my new car I was only looking for an untouched example. I guess it's either drop the price, put it back to standard or wait.

I would put some standard wheels on it and explain a bit more in the Psitonheads advert regarding history, when things were replaced etc etc. Main things I always look for is MOT/Tax, when consumables were last replaced and any big jobs that have or might need doing.

Nothing wrong with the AP's, from my experience. People rightly or wrongly judge on things like that without having experience of the equipment so instantly think "im going to have to spend £XX more when I get it". It would be good if you have the original suspension so the buyer had the option to put it back to standard.

At the end of the day they are all getting on for 20+ years old, they will all have thier faults even those cars that dont appear to have them. Priced sensibly a Coraddo will sell but it will take you a little time.

I've got the same problem mate. Mine is a '95 standard 'low mileage' car at 100k and I'm not having much luck either.

The problem is with me not driving it the longer it sits the less chance there is of it selling. I thought about storing it for a couple of years but storage costs are so high its not an option.

I may review the price again - i do believe that the prices I've seen them go up (which is what i based mine on) are truly what they're worth but I guess im biased :)

I was kind of thinking the same re the mods. When looking for my new car I was only looking for an untouched example. I guess it's either drop the price, put it back to standard or wait.

yeah its mad really, i know i can see through these things, but as soon as i see a set of wheels or something i don''t like my instant reaction is negative.

At the end of the day the market is slim for Corrados. Id agree that std wheels would help. Then you can keep/ sell the monzas :)

I'm not rubbing it in but I sold mine in 5 days with some tasteful mods for £3.5k and had a queue of people wanted to view it.

People do want them and have money to buy, think its about where you advertise really.

Mine was on here and in the classified on eBay.

Someone will buy it.

Your car was very nice mate that's why it sold in that time not saying anybodyelse's are crap I haven't seen them but I have seen pic's of Johnny's ex and it was a cracker(You'll be back);)

I bought my 1993 VR6 for 2700, with the original wheels as well as the aftermarket BBS.

I don't think the ad for mine was up for that long, but I had decided I wanted a Corrado VR6 after a bit of research. I went straight to pistonheads looking for a specific car.

From around 20/21 I knew what one was and loved them but had a TDI polo and didn't want to sell. I had the opportunity to buy a second car and grabbed the bull by the horns!

I personally think when you buy these kind of cars, you accept that when you come to sell up it will not sell as easily as the Vauxhall Ashtray or the Ford Focus. The people that buy those kind of cars are looking for something generic e.g. Cheap family hatch.... We limit our market massively by investing in these beauties! The person buying it chances are will be like me, someone who has gone on the hunt for a Corrado VR6.

There is one in the area where I work in Portsmouth that is the 1.8 16v and he is also struggling to sell.

Persevere and you will get there!! :)

Gracie x