mgbv8mike

VSR manifold

Yep I totally agree with you Kev and there's no way I'd buy a high value item like a VSR on Ebay and via Paypal.

I wouldn't even entertain getting involved in a bidding war for it, plus the ridiculous fees, I'd much prefer to do a road trip to see it and buy it in person from one enthusiast to another at an advertised and agreed price, that's what this forum is all about imo.

But here we are peeps, the crossroads have already been reached and Ebay it is then! Let the bids begin!...

As i said in an earlier post that has strangely disappeared :camp: someone on here buy it get it on your car and get the pic's up for the rest who missed out on it to drool over. :)

Hmm.. not quite sure about some of the arguments on here so far..

Ebay/Paypal fees are only charged to the seller. The fees are : £1.30 insertion fee, plus photographs. £75 final value fee [based on selling price over £75] and 4% Paypal fees. If the final selling price is £750 - £1000, total fees will be £106.30 - £116.30. Leaving the seller with £643.70 - £883.70. The buyer will pay nothing more than winning bid!

On the point of Paypal protection, the seller will generally loose if the item is sold via ebay, the buyer will always loose if buying privately using 'paypal gift' [friends or family]

By offering the item on Ebay, the seller in this case has given himself maximum exposure to buyers, but also maximum exposure to risk and will loose a good chunk of the price to boot! His item, His choice.

The previous "handbag fights at dawn" VSR feeler thread has been moved to here! :camp:

Sure, just cancel the Ebay advert and bring it along to National Day next month then. :rolleyes: haha!

Thanks for clarifying Baron, I have to confess that I didn't realise the Ebay seller pays the fees of the buyer, my bad, but even then I still have to decline to bid for it. Like you said, it's the sellers choice but he'll potentially loose out financially paying the Paypal fees.

Edited by Philstrm250

No mate this is still the original thread with some people's post's deleted for what reason i am not sure :scratch:

When it came to an ebay dispute, ebay sided with the seller.....

Well in my experience they do not side with the seller - they may initially, but ultimately if the buyer appeals they will side with them. There is zero seller protection. Even had the police involved for fraud - as ebay said to do - and STILL ebay/paypal wouldn't change their final decision. And not only does the buyer get the refund once they've returned the item, they get the original postage back, and you still end up paying the final fees.

Hmm.. not quite sure about some of the arguments on here so far..

Ebay/Paypal fees are only charged to the seller. The fees are : £1.30 insertion fee, plus photographs. £75 final value fee [based on selling price over £75] and 4% Paypal fees. If the final selling price is £750 - £1000, total fees will be £106.30 - £116.30. Leaving the seller with £643.70 - £883.70. The buyer will pay nothing more than winning bid!

On the point of Paypal protection, the seller will generally loose if the item is sold via ebay, the buyer will always loose if buying privately using 'paypal gift' [friends or family]

I thought there was limit of £40 in fees that the seller would have to pay as the final value fee - perhaps it's changed now though. However, whilst that might sound a lot, compared to 'normal' auction houses the fee would usually be higher - often 15% or more.

The thread was moved to here and some posts cleaned up due to some of the content.

So you were informed of this?

We all were mate, see page 1 of this thread, post no. 8, CazzaVR - Andy, moved and tidied up this thread, I don't know the details though.

I'm sure Andy could clarify this if you ask him.

No mate this is still the original thread with some people's post's deleted for what reason i am not sure :scratch:

They were deleted because it was turning into an auction, which isn't allowed. It was moved because it was in the wrong section. I'm considering deleting a lot of the content again, as the OP has a legitimate Ebay thread in the correct section, and again it's turning into something completely different. A good discussion? Yes. In the wrong place? Yes!

Not really fair on the OP. If he wants to stick it on Ebay and put a link on here in the correct place, that's fine. I agree that a private sale would be better, but it's up to the OP. He's following the rules now, although next time I would hope it's actually on Ebay before the thread is started ;)

That OK with you Clumpy? :roll: :lol:

Edited by CazzaVR

I can see why my first post was deleted but the second one I thought was done in the spirit of the forum not particularly bothered though i am going on edition now had enough on here for the night.

One last word ... (OK maybe more than one ) then I'm out of here .

I posted on this forum because I genuinely had no idea of how much the VSR was worth.

How much I will pay in fees to E bay is my concern, as the BUYER pays nothing, I don't see what the problem is.

I have never had a bad experience with PayPal, when I was scammed, I got my money back from them.

I wanted to give the buyer some protection for what I anticipated could be a significant sum to lose if it went pear shaped.

Thanks to all those who have added the constructive comments.

Mike

---------- Post added at 8:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:27 AM ----------

One last word ... (OK maybe more than one ) then I'm out of here .

I posted on this forum because I genuinely had no idea of how much the VSR was worth.

How much I will pay in fees to E bay is my concern, as the BUYER pays nothing, I don't see what the problem is.

I have never had a bad experience with PayPal, when I was scammed, I got my money back from them.

I wanted to give the buyer some protection for what I anticipated could be a significant sum to lose if it went pear shaped.

Thanks to all those who have added the constructive comments.

Mike

Edited by mgbv8mike
Bad spelling ( again)

Threads that go on like this embarrass the forum, he came on here looking for advice and it turned into a lot of people jumping on soap boxes! This is how the mighty clubgti began its fall from grace!

Agreed with Jaymo's post... this has gone on long enough!