welshside

Alarm goes off when fuel/fan afterrun kick in

I've got a Toad alarm that goes off after a few minutes if the car has just been used and is warm, if I leave it a while to cool down and then turn the alarm on I have no problems.

I am guessing the fan/fuel pump afterrun are causing it to go off when they kick in.

Has anyone got any suggestions of things to look at to fix the problem before I spend some money on an auto electrician to take a look.

There should be a sensativity adjuster on the side of the alarm control module (buried behind the dash). Have a fiddle with it and see what happens.

Some alarms trigger when a voltage drop has been detected, IE if it thinks that someone has disconnected the battery in an attempt to deactivate the alarm. If the battery isn't it's best, then the drain on it by having the after run stuff activating could be enough to trigger it.

I'm guessing your fans kicking in is setting off the alarm?

As James said, on the side of the alarm control box there is a sensitivity adjuster. It will be behind your dash somewhere though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try and get to the alarm unit to have a play about with the sensitivity adjuster to see if it makes a difference.

Some alarms trigger when a voltage drop has been detected, IE if it thinks that someone has disconnected the battery in an attempt to deactivate the alarm. If the battery isn't it's best, then the drain on it by having the after run stuff activating could be enough to trigger it.

The battery is pretty new and holds charge pretty well so I don't think it's that.

If your fuel pump is running after you switch off you have trouble ;)

I thought the fuel pump was meant to run on a bit to clear the vapour or something.

It's probably not related but my windows also still work without the ignition on, I thought they were only meant to work for a bit after the ignitions turned off.

I was having battery drain problems which I tracked back to the central locking/electric windows module behind the drivers seat. I have pulled the brown plug out which has stopped the battery drain, but I'm having to live without working windows. Another thing on my never shrinking list of things to get sorted.

Hmm thats a strange 1. Does sound like your alarm woes are possibly drain related.... I've never played with wiring mate so cant offer anything im afraid.

With the brown connector unplugged I don't have drain issues and the battery is fine, but I still have alarm problems.

I think in theory I can change the sensitivity of the alarm then set it and test it by touching the after run sensor and rocker cover with a screw driver to get the fan running.

I've tried to find the alarm unit to make some adjustments to the sensitivity but it's no sign of it. I've looked under the steering wheel around by the fuse box, in the centre console and behind/under the glovebox and just can't find it.

I have traced a few of the wires back to the fusebox but I'm guessing they go into the fusebox and not the alarm module. Is there room behind or on top of the fusebox for it, that's the only thing I can think of.

Has anyone got any suggestions to common places fitters usually hide it?