P3rks

Smoke / Steam out of middle vents

I'm 99% sure I know the answer here but I just want some confirmation before I go out and buy one and strip the dash down.

On my way home from work, when the car was up to temp and boiling hot (100 degrees coolant temp) I noticed, when stationary in traffic that some really light smoke / steam was coming out of the middle vents, as soon as I moved again the smoke stopped. I'm sure it smelt sweet; but my hay-fever nose doesn't help in that department.

When I got home I checked for leaks and noticed the coolant level had dropped ever so slightly. When I turned the car off I noticed that the windscreen steamed up, only a small section on the passenger side just above where the fan blower is.

Thoughts?

Heater matrix, got damp carpets on passenger side?

I dare not check, the Mrs could have ****ed herself :awesome:

But yeah, Matrix was my first guess. Dashboard was only off a few weeks ago too; matrix looked spot on. :bonk:

At least you'll remember how to take it out again, just thinking before you do take the dash out have a look around the scuttle in the engine bay (where the blower motor gets the air) and see if theres any damage to the seal/build up of leaves around it which is letting water in. Or you could just sniff your passenger carpets to see if its sweet smelling coolant

100% the matrix. Both carpets are wet. Good job I caught it in time otherwise it could have been much worse.

Balls.

I need the car and I won't be able to get hold of a Matrix until the weekend. I know I can bypass the matrix, but do I have to join the pipes to the matrix together or can I just bung them individually?

I would join the pipes buddy if you must use it.

Same happened to me on my first rado and I thought it was on fire to start with haha

I would join the pipes buddy if you must use it.

Same happened to me on my first rado and I thought it was on fire to start with haha

Thats what I thought at first! I was upset, then happy at what my £6k insurance cheque would buy me! :dance:

But yeah, Matrix was my first guess. Dashboard was only off a few weeks ago too; matrix looked spot on. :bonk:

ahhhhh killer! id never remove a dash without changing the matrix now. i did the matrix on mine [without the dash out], put everything back together and then discovered the heater control box was also broken. :mad2::mad::pale: 2nd time round I took the dash out - much easier option.

Yup, killer! I checked the matrix and it was mint. No issues. I'm wondering whether I've knocked it when I removed it or something?

Either way, it has to be fixed. I'm an expert with the whole dash out now; I can get the dash off in less than an hour! :)

Corrado's. You gotta love 'em.

Edited by P3rks