andyhudson

what to replace with front end off

well one of the threaded sleeves in the rad for the top elbow has spun so looks like it a new rad. So im taking front end off and sorting that. while im there what else should i do out of good maintenance thats worth replacing to save the hassle in long run. The crack pipe has been replaced and thermostat housing but think ill swap them out for geniune ones as i didn't put genuine in when I did it, or ill make a stainless crack pipe.

It's worth getting the rad fan cowling, cross member, bumper iron and rad support panel shotblasted and powdercoated. I would also replace all the screws, nuts and bolts in the slam panel etc. Give the oil sensors etc a good check over and clean. Replace if you're feeling flush :) Give the battery/earth cables a good check. Check/clean/paint the battery undertray.

Also check the oil cooler and oil cooler seal and the two coolant pipes going to it. Also worth replacing the sensors in the stat housing if you can stretch to that.

Local lowers the oil temp by around 10 degrees. A pair of oem sensors will set you back around £50.

Dealer told me last week the don't have any oil temp sensors and they won't be able to get hold of any either

GSF have a load and they had the VAG part number in the side of it too