fonzooorooo

fonzooorooo's 8v

Well... we never meant to get a 'rado.

Mrs. fonzooorooo had this (from new):

100_1577_zpsf1a1aac9.jpg

which we wanted to replace with a mk2... so we did - by buying this:

mk2_zpse762a3c2.jpg

and sorted the inevitable "issues" before putting the polo up for sale. ... To be greeted by a SPECTACULAR lack of interest - it just wouldn't sell for a reasonable price, so I started enquiring about P/X deals just to make the polo go away.... so a deal was struck and we drove home in an ice violet '95 2L 8V corrado.

It was clean enough, straight enough, ran well enough, rust free underneath, everything seemed to work... It had a MOT for a while, had been standing outside over the winter, but was peanuts to add on to the classic insurance (with the mk1 cab and the mk2) it was kinda rude not to(!)

175K miles, original paint (a bit stone-chippy, but then it's ever likely to be after those miles)

It was standard except for a Clifford alarm, de-cat, lowered on Bilstein shocks and Apex springs, and 6x9"s on the shelf.

I didn't take "before" pics... so here they aren't:

The Clifford became a nightmare, so I removed it.

The de-cat's now an MOT fail, so I got hold of a cat off a B3 passat (same 2e engine) and tweeked the fuel with the air meter spring pre-tensioner to get it into MOT tolerance.

We both HATED the standard 5 spoke wheels on it (they made their way onto my B4 passat after a colour change - they work nicely on that!) so got hold of a bargain set of Ibiza Cupra Sheriff Stars (which could do with a smidge of spacing, but no rush!)

Audio-wise, the 6x9"s have stayed, I've replaced the horrid Sony headunit it came with with a nice old Alpine, added a phoenix gold amp and a rockford fosgate 12" in a DIY box... just need to replace the front speakers with some decent components.

100_1627_zps9763e666.jpg

100_1625_zpse908c306.jpg

100_1636_zpsba2de502.jpg

100_1623_zps141a63c7.jpg

100_1621_zps07554dcf.jpg

and the original wheels on the passat:

100_1615_zps236e223c.jpg

and a quick shot of the mk1 while we're here:

100_1524.jpg

I know that 8V - used to live round the corner from me, in Allestree, Derby. It looked a bit tired when I last saw it and was up for sale - no front splitter and a few other little bits and bobs so it's good to see that its gone to a good home :-)

Enjoy Corrado ownership!

Tom

Nice. ... Thanks for the welcome Tom! It's not gone far - we're only in Coalville.

Front splitter's still not the best - big crack each side which'd been "reinforced" with fibreglass - looks like that job lasted all of 10 minutes - the cracks hadn't been glued and the fibreglass fell off in a sheet when provoked! ... It could do with something a bit smaller though, as this scrapes our driveway every time it goes on/off.

All told, I reckon the biggest job's been sorting the brakes out - It's had new 2nd hand (mk2 type, as they were cheap!) rear calipers (replacements that'd done a short mileage, so a clean and a coat of paint and on they went) and new handbrake cables. I got hold of a full set of fronts (calipers, carriers and discs) (off the same B3 passat the cat came off) and had the pistons out, cleaned, re-rusted, painted, reassembled, then fitted along with excellent 2nd hand discs, new flexi hoses and new pads. they all work lovely now! (as you'd hope!)

It only got 3 little fails on the MOT last week which I sorted the same afternoon and whipped it back in next day for a retest - no problems, no advisories!

Doesn't look bad at all! Those Ibiza wheels look surprisingly good!

As for the wheels on your Cabby, I didn't think anybody actually bought them.............................:lol:

I used to own that car sold it on about 4 years ago to a guy at work. Didn't really give me any problems, i did replace the exhaust, I was planning to replace the wheels myself but ended up getting the G60. The guy I sold it to lost the splitter and don't think he bothered replacing it. Haven't seen it for a couple of years so nice to see its still going!

Cheers

Scott

Ah, nice!

The chap we had it from was a dealer, and it was in when he was closing up shop... He'd had one before, and fancied another, so took it home... He'd only had it a year or so, but it looks like it didn't go far, he SORNed it over the winter and didn't have space for a daily and a toy - hence us getting it!

Update time:

Got hold of a set of 2nd hand local bargain Kenwood components for the front. Tweeters are a bit loud, but I'll pop some resistors in to cure that - Then that'll be the audio DONE (though I've got a work in progress on a sub grill... It'll be a while into the future before that gets pic worthy though!)

I fixed the rear wiper motor (which had never worked - turned out it was just seized... Bit of a wangle to get them out with the spoiler mech still in place, but after a drowning in WD40 and a few strategic taps with a hammer, it sprang to life... Left it running on the battery charger till the ammeter stopped dropping, then re-fitted.

Most importantly, I painted the wheels and put VW centre caps on!

000_0019_zps08fc2f4f.jpg

000_0017_zps436204a8.jpg

We took it over to the Skegvegas show over the summer - Nothing to report other than 43.something to the gallon on the way over there...

It'll be coming off the road for the winter (not till they start gritting/salting though!) ... so it needs somewhere to live... So we've chopped the back out of the garage, fitted doors, and I'm well on with making a car port (2 afternoons, me and my helpful mate - stopped work late, hence the gloomy photo!)

000_0013_zpsd209de59.jpg

Well... "and that'll be the audio DONE"

Except I spotted a bargain pair of JBL "power series" P6452 4x6"s for sale...Like these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76496[/ATTACH]

They did NOT like going in in the standard position - The magnets clear the rear shock top mounts by mm even after a whole lot of cutting to get them in at all(!)

Upshot is they're in, sound nice, but I can't recommend them for the application!

so I've removed the 6x9"s and popped a painted blanking panel in the shelf till an "advantageously priced" uncut grey shelf pops up...

And all being well a VR6 steering wheel'll be going in shortly. (only because the original is suffering the "grip wind-up" issue)

Hello mate,

I've just bought a corrado for my younger bro.

I was reading your post and thought, sounds familiar, saw the mk1 and thought I've seen that car, then it clicked, Stanford hall, you know Matt and we had a brief chat about the Rado etc...

Hello mate,

I've just bought a corrado for my younger bro.

I was reading your post and thought, sounds familiar, saw the mk1 and thought I've seen that car, then it clicked, Stanford hall, you know Matt and we had a brief chat about the Rado etc...

Hey! Yep - That's me. Good work getting your bro a corrado. Any pictures up yet?

^looks nice!

No,the mk1's off the road for the winter - I've not really been on the mk1 forum much recently... Pretty much just use it for the local meets bit!

Well.. not much activity on the 'rado front... It's been off the road for the winter - should be taxed again next month.

In "fleet news", the B4 TDI passat's gone and has been replaced with a B3 8v. The mk1's taxed again (also comes off the road for winter). The mk2's had a bit of love (new 2nd hand headlining etc) and is basically behaving itself nicely.

There was an ebay impulse purchase though.... another 'rado. This one's dragon green (ish) and rather lacking in detail, I've resprayed it to match the 8v:

000_0004_zpsebb63676.jpg