robrado974

Fuel pump problems ? advice needed please .

Had a problem for a while now , my vr sometimes had problems picking up the revs while starting . It only used to do it accasionally if you stopped somewhere and went to start the car twenty minutes later or so . Now i have the problem from cold starting . I can here the fuel pump priming ,[a low hum?] and a click from the relay . but the engine is struggling to pic up the revs to fire as if the fuel is not being pushed through , the only way i can describe it is , it sounds like the car is going to run out of fuel and spluttering . The car will start on around the 5th time of trying though and after driving for a short period , will start with no problems .But after half an hour or so later will start but again it is stuggling. My first port of call is getting someone i know with a fuel pressure gauge to test the bar .I know i need to remove the fuel saving device thats been on there for years as well ,as im sure this is not helping . Anyone else had problems like this ,i think im looking in the right direction thinking its the pump .The search revealed it could be the return valve . Any advice would be appreciated .

Thanks as always , Rob .

Edited by robrado974

Hello Rob,

Yeah that does sound like the fuel pressure regulator.

The fuel pump primes the system and keeps it pressurised to the fuel injector rail,

and then the fuel pressure regulator keeps the pressure in the fuel return line, from the injector rail back to fuel tank.

It does sound like you are 100% losing fuel pressure with in the system if vehicle is left for only 30 mins.

Those fuel saving devices can affect the fuel system but it depends on where they're fitted and what type they are ?

But yeah fuel delivery. Like you say you really need to check the fuel pressure.

Si :thumbleft:

Thanks Si , had a look at euro parts and the Bosch one comes in at £120 , they were £166 . Will ring Tps tomorrow .

Carparts4less Rob! They're a sister company of ECP so all stock comes from the same warehouse but they're much cheaper, even using discounts!. If you put it in the basket then sign out, you'll get an email a couple of minutes later offering another 7.5% off your next order as well! :thumbleft: