fla

Front hubs for a VR

I have a droning noise from the car above 40mph which I suspect is my wheel bearings. Strangely no increase in noise turning either way, so maybe rear bearings?

Anyway, I have a spare set of front hub knuckles (to refurb) which will then receive the new bearings and perhaps new hubs. Anyone have some hubs available or any recommendations for aftermarket ones?

Any experience with these ones from tierod69:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-GTI-VW-CORRADO-VR6-FRONT-WHEEL-HUB-C357-/221221871855?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3381d9e0ef

Also, how can you isolate the faulty bearings? I don't want to unnecessarily change all 4!

Edited by fla

thanks Sean. Was looking for some new ones ideally tbh, hence wanting some comments on the ones from Tierod69.

Hasan,

droning can often be caused by tyre noise, particularly from the rear wheels. Are you running some tyres which may be old, past their best or are a particularly open block tread pattern such as all weather tyres? Have you got a spare pair of wheels you can try temporarily to see if that changes things? In fact I have a pair of Uniroyal Rainsports on spare wheels, which are just about legal, which you are welcome to borrow if you want to collect them from the office one day

Front wheel bearing groaning will increase in pitch as speed increases and will vary in volume, from very loud to almost silent, dependent upon whether you are going around a curve or are driving in a straight line. In extremis you will feel a roughness through the steering.

Best wishes

RB

thanks for that Roger. I'll look into the tyre noise. Front tyres are Westlake, rears are Toyo Proxes (iirc).

Do you think it could also be caused by the rear bearings needing to be nipped up or perhaps simply regreased? I appreciate that droning noises are fairly difficult to diagnose from remote control.

Thanks for the offer on the spare wheels - might take you up on that if I get stuck! Maybe last time we should have taken my car so you could have heard the noise?

Hasan, I don't think the bearings would need re-greasing - there's nowhere for the grease to go unless the rear seal has failed, which would show up as a dirty mess all over the back of the brake, and in my experience when changing bearings the grease looks quite fresh (unless the bearing has been overtightened and the bearing has over-heated). You should be able to check for slack in the rear bearings just by rocking the roadwheel top/bottom and side/side with it jacked up, but a very small amount of slack, just enough to feel, is good (unlike what over-zealous MOT testers might tell you).

On the issue of loaning some wheels, I assume that 15" wheels and 205/50 tyres will fit the back of yours.

Mine drones a bit, but I put it down to the chunky tyres I use. The bearings are ok. The front ones needed replacing after it sat immobile for about 18months, and the noise was typical, as described earlier.