timmaaah

Problem with 3rd gear.

I've been noticing a problem with 3rd gear. If I put the car into 3rd, remove my hand from the gear stick, then raise the clutch it just grinds and doesn't engae gear. If I hold the gear stick forward it goes in ok. The adjuster is fully adjusted to it's furthest extent. There's a bit of movement on the engine mounts - the gearbox one was changed several months ago - I need to get round to doing the other two. I've also changed the metal stud that the gear cable attaches to.

Any ideas as to the cause? Another symptom is aggressive gear changes from 2nd to 3rd crunch, as does 3rd to 4th. Gentle, relaxed gear changes are fine. The box has done 131k

Cheers.

The adjuster at the gearbox end - the arm has a slot where you can move the anchor point. I also have one of Dave's short shift adaptors, fitted about 6 months ago.

Is there another adjuster at the gear stick end?

The adjuster at the gearbox end - the arm has a slot where you can move the anchor point. I also have one of Dave's short shift adaptors, fitted about 6 months ago.

Is there another adjuster at the gear stick end?

The other adjuster is at the end of the other cable, you will need to remove the weight to access it.

The other adjuster is at the end of the other cable, you will need to remove the weight to access it.

That's the one I've adjusted-the one at the gearbox end under the weight. Is there more adjustment at the gear stick end? Cheers

There's only left to right adjustment of the gear stick at the gear stick end.

There is a rubber bush in the end of the forward/backward movement cable attached to the bottom of the actual gear stick. I have seen this disintegrate resulting in poor shifting. I would check this, if it's bust then let me know as I've got some spare.