Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Not Starting..maybe relay? No its the immobiliser

Tried to start the Corrado this morning (1.8 16v - 91)

All the electrics come on, but you just get a sort of fast rattling/clicking noise comming from the dash and all the lights on it flickering really fast. (Engine doesnt attempt to start)

I havn't time to look at it cos im in work now - So i thought it'd be a good idea to post this for any suggestions.

Would it simply be the ignition relay ?

sounds like a flat battery to me....

Could be the standard ignition switch fault though I suppose... :|

Sounds like a bad earth connection to me. Try the earth connection on the battery and if that's ok then follow the main earth wire from the battery to where it is bolted to the gearbox and check the connection there. Check it out before you try to start the car again because if the earth isn't making a good connection it could fry your ecu...

nope its not the battery- the lights other electrics work ok

That doesn't outrule the battery having a dead cell. Check it with a voltmeter, should be around 12.5V and if you can get it running, 13.8-14.4V

you gotta remember that to open a window, or run the lights will take upto about 20amps top... To fire the starter motor, the ignition system, fuel pump etc is gonna EASILY pull 60 amps outta the battery... if the battery's struggling, then it won't even fire the solenoid on the starter properly which will cause the ticking and flashing lamps...

Ah ha - well as im in work i asked my dad to use the battery from his car and no luck - same thing is happening.

Total git it is.. ! hasnt anyone had this same prob ?

could be a jammed starter motor I suppose... mine did similar when it was dying... :|

Have a good look at the earth strap though, that could well be the problem...

put the car in gear & rock it back & forwards for jammed starter to see if that relises it (dont forget to take the car out of gear before trying to start again!)daubt its that tho.

Dont corrados suffer with crap ign switches?

try taking the thinner wire block of your starter motor and use a piece of wire to bypass all the cars wiring,get a piece of wire and touch it on the terminal on the starter motor and the other end on the + side of the battery