Sign in to follow this  
MoonlightVR

Speed camera detectors - possible GROUP BUY?

After much umming and ahhing I recently took the plunge and bought a speed camera detector. I did a fair bit of research and settled on the Origin B2 GPS device as the best one for my needs.

When shopping around for the best deals I noticed that prices varied widely. RRP is £429, but some places sell them for alot less than this. It turned out that the cheaper places were not authorised dealers. No big deal I thought, until I stumbled across a warning on the Origin website stating that any Origin device bought from an unauthorised dealer will only have a 28 day warranty instead of the full 2 years normally offered.

Anyway to cut a short story even longer :D I found that authorised dealer were much closer to the RRP. The dealer I bought my Origin from turned out to be a half decent bloke and in the end did me a reasonable deal. I'm very impressed with the Origin (had it 4 weeks now) and would recommend it to anyone. IMO it's the pick of the bunch.

Now onto the purpose of this mail! I asked him if he would be happy to do a group buy, and he is.

He is an authorised agent for Origin, Road Angel and Snooper. He favours Origin and Road Angels however as he has seen problems with the Snoopers - not sure if this is accurate?

Anyway, if we can get 10+ people you guys can get a considerable saving on the RRP of the detectors. Current RRP on the Origin is £429, and on the Road Angel it's £399. As a ball park figure we can get this down to £350 for the Origin and £289 for the Road Angel.

For more info on the devices:

http://www.originb2.com/

http://www.blackspot.com/

There's no benefit for me in all this as I've already bought mine! Thought you lot might be interested though :D

for those of you who don't know who moonlightVR is.....i can totally vouch for Asim,although i've not bought anything from any of his previous group-buys he's arranged... :oops: well i did pull out of his samco one a year or so ago :oops:......all of them have had damn good savings 8) ,Asim is a genuine VW-enthusiast who bargains hard for Vee-dubbers and hasnt any alterior motives for doing so

btw Asim...........can you make my cheque out for C A S H :wink: :-P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't want to p!ss on anyones bonfire.. but you can buy a road angel on ebay for £255

That said.. if you get a decent deal on B2's then I believe they are better than road angels..

EDIT: New Road Angels with laser detector that is... can't vouch for seller reliability thou

That's fair enough. I'm just offering this as I asked the chap who I bought my device from if he was up for a GB. The attraction for me was the fact that he was an authorised dealer. Should anything go t!ts up on the device at least you'll know that you've got the back up......

That's fair enough. I'm just offering this as I asked the chap who I bought my device from if he was up for a GB. The attraction for me was the fact that he was an authorised dealer. Should anything go t!ts up on the device at least you'll know that you've got the back up......

exactly... and anyway I seem to recall a clubgti group buy for Road Angels were pushing to get lower than the £290 mark too so...

I like the look of the OriginB2 (sounds like some sort of Spaceship!) but how much are the yearly subscriptions for the map downloads?

I like the look of it compared to the Road Angel, which has a naff display by comparison.

I like the look of the OriginB2 (sounds like some sort of Spaceship!) but how much are the yearly subscriptions for the map downloads?

I like the look of it compared to the Road Angel, which has a naff display by comparison.

The unit comes with 6 months subs, it's £50 a year thereafter. Road Angel costs £49 for a year, £79 for 2, £99 for lifetime.

I agree the Origin looks better, and has a v comprehensive display. The website has more info, including a demo I think? Key things over the RA for me were:

More integrated look - hardly any wires visible).

Tells you what speed the speed detection device has been set to eg. Gatso 30, Spesc 50 etc

V portable so alot easier to take with you for security.

It's not annoying! eg. only beeps once at you if you are travelling under the speed limit approaching a camera, but goes crazy if you're travelling over it! :lol:

The downside is if you have more than one car and want to transfer it across you'll need another installation kit. Other than that it's a great piece of kit.

I really want one but am currently very skint thanks to the C's never ending engine repair bills :roll:

If this takes a couple of months (will take that long to fiddle my expences for work lol) to come together then I'll be in for one!

Seems like a good price, have you thought about offering this to any other forums? If you could get lots of interest maybe the price could drop further?

If this takes a couple of months (will take that long to fiddle my expences for work lol) to come together then I'll be in for one!

Seems like a good price, have you thought about offering this to any other forums? If you could get lots of interest maybe the price could drop further?

Ok Phil, we'll see how things develop.

I guess opening this up to others forums would be ideal to drum up more interest but to be honest it's a lot of hassle, and like I've said I'm only offering it because I asked opportunistically - thought other C owners might like one too since we need clean licences with the amount insurance companies charge us :roll: .

I've already got mine mate, so there's only so much hassle I'm prepared to go through!

I know HyAsAKite on here and a few others are also on Pistonheads.com so could post something on there to see if there's any interest? (assuming they do GB's)

Otherwise might be worth mentioning to CCGB as I'm sure there'd be interest there..

I can see your point though mate, you have one and are really just trying to do everyone a favour - not worth major hastle. I'll keep my eyes open for further developments...

Cheers

Phil