scarlet_vr6

Favourite supercar experiences

I've just booked a 2 car driving experience which was a leaving present from my old team and manager. I have a choice of 9 cars and hopefully will be driving an F430 and a Gallardo. Really looking forward to it! Anyway, it made me wonder what cars people on here have driven, and which were their favourites. I'll go first...

A few years ago I worked for Porsche, and was lucky enough to drive the entire model range (at the time it was 911 (997), Cayman, Boxster (987) and Cayenne) at Bedford Autodrome which was a fantastic day out. I've driven a few 911s and have loved them all but the Cayman impressed me as well, particularly the steering and gearshift. Whilst working there, I had a passenger ride in a Carrera GT and I remember being blown away by that car! I thought it was incredible! I'm a big Porsche fan though so I know I'm massively biased.

I have also driven an R8. I hired one for 24 hours as a belated 30th birthday present to myself and what a wonderful 200 or so miles they were! I remember particularly liking the driving position and gear change, and of course the acceleration, handling and noise. The downsides were that the standard cloth seats in my Corrado are more comfortable and that I spent the next couple of days trying to put the C into 6th!

As an aside, the worst car I have ever driven is a Citroen C5. My first thought on seeing the metallic yellow paint and beige velour interior was not a good one and unfortunately, this was the best part of the experience. Nor was I keen on the Seicento lent to me whilst my Scirocco was at a bodyshop. It had the strangest driving position and no amount of adjustments seemed to improve it; I kept hitting my knees on the steering column. It was better than relying on Shanks' Pony to get me down the dual carriageway me to work though!

I've been to a few of these now.. and really want to go to more, including motorsport schools and stuff. Just a question of finding the time and the money! :)

At these days I've now driven:

Ferrari 355

Lamborghini Murcielago

Aston Martin DBS

Audi R8

Ariel Atom

Porsche 911 Turbo (997)

My thoughts on all of them? The Audi R8 is awesome - feels like a more grown up, refined, faster Corrado.. I can't put my finger on it. As you've driven one I'm sure you'd agree. It's really good fun.

The Murcielago felt huge, and was heavy, and intimidating - and putting your foot down was a real event! Lots of noise and lots of speed. I can't imagine driving one on the road.

The Aston DBS was a crushing disappointment. It looked amazing but actually driving it felt like an upmarket Mondeo.. again I can't put my finger on it, but I hated it. Not the car for me.

Ferrari 355 - wasn't a huge fan. I suspect a more modern Ferrari would be a more exciting experience!

911 Turbo - it felt like a surgical implement. Quiet, precise, no fuss, and admittedly not a lot of soul. You just didn't realise how quickly you were going and how quickly you got there. Quite enjoyable but I admit it did take the edge off me wanting one somewhat.

Ariel Atom - the most entertaining thing I've ever driven. I'd take it over all of the above cars if I wanted a driving experience, rather than something to show off with or at least be a little more practical. It was terrifyingly fast - but the more you pushed on the more it rewarded you. I want to drive one again as soon as I can.. LOVED it.

Oh - also should have added, last year out in the states I had the chance to spend a day and a bit in a Dodge Challenger with the Hemi engine.. it was brilliant fun. I didn't really open it up much for fear of running into the American police but it made a great noise and actually was a heck of a lot nicer quality (interior wise) than I expected it to be. I'm back out there again in a few weeks time and this time trying out a Ford Mustang.. I will report back ;)

Edited by Jim

As part of my job a couple of years ago I had to drive and test the TPMS on some nice cars including:

McLaren MP4 12C

Aston Vantage

Aston DB9

Aston DBS

Aston Rapide

Aston one 77

Ferrari California

Ferrari 430

Tesla roadster

Bentley Arnage

But also been driven by the official test drivers in:

Ferrari 458 (nice around the mountains of Marinello)

Ferrari FF

Maserati Quatroporte

Maserati Gran tourismo

Audi A8 Limo

Mercedes Evobus

I miss that part of my job :(

How was the Tesla? I'm desperate to drive one and see what they're like!

Was the first experience of a full electric car I'd had.

Have to say it was bloody quick but very odd without any engine noise.

Handled well considering the weight it had at the rear for batteries.

I have to say I was fortunate enough to drive an Audi R8 V10 Plus a couple of months ago, at an audi open day. Absolutely awesome car power delivery was immense and continuous and the DSG gearbox was perfect. Felt like an A6 around town and turned into a monster once out on the open road.

I know everything is opinion, and your opinion isnt right or wrong, but, I have seen this mentioned a couple of times before, and I cannot see any similarity between an R8 and a Corrado. Two opposite ends of the motoring spectrum IMHO.

But then I only have a 16 Valver! ;-)

Dougie

Recently drove a 360, 911 Turbo, DB9 & Gallardo.

Gallardo was my favourite by a mile! The 911 was great, DB9 was good too, but know what you mean Jim. Was way too civilised! Didn't like the 360 at all, but then I don't think the instructor was great- kept getting me to slow down and change up too soon etc.

I'd love to do one, and had planned to in the near future after National day!

What I'd like to do is a two car day. There are a couple of places that do Track and Offroad, which is what I'll do I think. I've always preferred Lamborghinis to anything else, but I'm not sure if I'd want to actually drive one and find myself disappointed! I'd hate to spoil that childhood dream..........

I think an offroad experience would add to this, and would be massive fun! Deffo worth considering!