Sign in to follow this  
jamest

VR6 vs 330Ci

Have been having a peep in the back of evo magazine and doing a bit of statting! :cyclops:

one thing that caught my eye were the figures for the rado vr and the 325 and 330 beemers!!!

figures are semi similar 8) for performance figures, and just wondering what the competition would be like on the road- my money is on the 330 pulling away over the ton.... :cry:

anyone have a view on the matter?

cheers :D

Funny you should mention this as I had a burn off with a 330Ci this morning.

They’re very grunty low down and the VR intially fell back but once the shrek resonance came into play at 3000 rpm, the gap was taken up again. When I say the VR fell back, we’re only talking a car length or so.

Dunno how committed the Bimmer driver was but given that I was flooring it and wasn’t crashing into his bumper, it’s a good bet he was gunning it too. And his cat reeked of sulphur, which is a sign of it getting very hot, i.e. flooring it!

At 100+, there was nothing in it but mine is Shrek’d, chipped and throttle bodied.

A standard VR will get comprehensivley wasted by a 330Ci. 231bhp plays 190 and 230 odd torque plays 181.

K

I thought that yours wasn't running particularly well at the moment Kev, or is it all sorted now?? Must be if you took on a 330Ci..., although i reckon a standard VR wouldn't get it's arse wiped

It has good and bad days mate. When it's sunny, it flies. Torque in abundance, but when it's overcast, it's so-so.

Today was a sunny day :lol: I'm deadly serious. The car runs better in hot weather! A fuelling issue quite clearly.

Anyway, I was all over the 330 this morning but I couldn't *really* hammer it as my chains are due for replacement, tomorrow actually :lol: , so didn't push my luck too much!

I took on a 330ci when mine was standard and it was driven by someone I knew, so I *knew* he wasn't pussy footing about. I was annihilated :cry:

Try going against the BM in the wet. A standard VR would kill him point to point.

I had several duals with 330s and there's nothing in it really - very closely matched. The VR is quicker than a 330 convertible - must be the weight/aerodynamics. The 325 is easy meat :D

Come up against a RX8 a couple of times too and they are also very closely matched to the VR. On the last occasion I exited a roundabout onto a dual carriageway with the RX on the inside and me on the outside. Changed up at 6k rpm in 2/3rd and well into 4th gears and we were neck and neck :D I think the RX8 driver was a bit miffed :wink:

Not bad for a 9 year old hey?!

You guys must have sorted VRs then as I have to work mine really hard to beat a 330!

Hopefully Vince can sort that out for me tomorrow.

K

You guys must have sorted VRs then as I have to work mine really hard to beat a 330!

K

210 bhp with 209 lb/ft

:D

Freak?!!!! :roll:

You're not going to believe this, but it's boggo standard!!!

Ask Vince about it at Stealth - he rolling roaded it 2 years ago (Stealth also maintain the car for me). One of the quicker ones he's tested! My intial thoughts after the run were that his rollers were out, but last year it was RR at AmD and they got the same figure! Most powerful standard unit they've tested apparently :D :D

I've got the plots - want me to scan it in?

Suffice to say I'm keeping it as it is!!

That's what I mean. Despite VW's best efforts to produce another average 2.9 VR6 lump, they freakishly produced a car that's 20bhp up on "norm".

Hell I'm pretty chuffed with 201bhp, even with the Schrick on my 119k miler anyway.

What's the recorded wheel HP on your car then? Not saying you're spouting BS, just curious how the figures pan out. Given the nature of wheel dynos, and the way they extrapolate back up to the crank through your drivetrain, it'd be interesting to see...

The best one Vince has seen, again standard, gave 212bhp.

The best mine has given when standard was 200bhp with 194lb/ft. It feels like it's giving more than that now, but we'll have to see. The VR is at it's best between 60 - 70K apparently.

K

What's the recorded wheel HP on your car then? Not saying you're spouting BS, just curious how the figures pan out. Given the nature of wheel dynos, and the way they extrapolate back up to the crank through your drivetrain, it'd be interesting to see...

Will dig the plots out and post a bit later on.

No need, I believe him and I know his word is good.

He's a good chap. Believe me I was more than a bit shocked and sceptical about the figure myself. However the AmD proved it to be accurate. Damn lucky I say! :wink:

K

210 bhp with 209 lb/ft

Is your engine a low miler and do you know if its been chipped at all?

K

210 bhp with 209 lb/ft

Is your engine a low miler and do you know if its been chipped at all?

Nope, it's done 75k miles and is bog standard - ECU was checked and found to be original. I have recently fitted a K&N induction kit - but for the sound :D

I took on a 328i in my G60 about a week ago... that was pretty much exactly the same.. if anything he was a tiny bit quicker.. but difficult to tell as it wasn't a side by side race. Was happy about having the same performance as a car costing 10 times as much as mine :) Hopefully when I Stage 4 my supercharger and do a couple of other bits I should be able to pull away :)

I raced an Alpina 328i years ago in my 2.8 vr6 mk2. I kept up with it for miles, upto 140mph too, the guy didn't know what hit him, he was continuously looking in his rear view mirrior thinking "WTF is that!!"

my engine died the next day though.......

my black mk2, witht he 2.9 and the 6 speed could keep up with a new M3 up to 120.

my engine died the next day though.......

LOL! Sorry, shouldn't laugh. Was just the way you said it :lol:

my black mk2, witht he 2.9 and the 6 speed could keep up with a new M3 up to 120.

Jees... I'm really going to have to bankrupt myself now and go for this box conversion. Vince has got the car for a week, hmmmm

K