corrado2016v

2.0 16v cylinder head removal ? help!!!!!

hi guys it appears my 2.0 16v 9A corrado needs a new head gasket,

i was wondering if you had to remove the cams to get to the cylinder

head bolts ? cant find anything on these engines really

any info on the headgasket change will be awesome !!! cheers

You don't have to remove the cams to get to the bolts. I did the HG on mine twice. Make sure you get new bolts as they're stretch bolts and will also need replacing at the same time. How far have you got? Have you started removing anything yet?

I have not yet started it yet , trying to get as much info as possible before i give it a go as there isnt really a manual for it is there, i will probably have to get the head skimmed do i have to remove the cams for that as im worried about messing up the timing etc and bending some valves.i really dont wan to pay a garage 600 to do it. what are your recomendations? cheers

It's a doddle really, basically the same as an 8v golf/passat but with no intermediate shaft timing to worry about, cams are marked with 'o' marks that just face each other and when it 's back together just turn it over by the crank bolt to make sure nothing touches, I'd suggest getting some long socket extensions and removing the six nuts that hold the downpipe to the exhaust manifold from underneath rather than trying to remove the exhaust manifold from the head with it still in the car. Head bolts are torqued in sequence twice and then stretched 180 degrees, if you can't find the old pink passat Haynes that covers this engine then I'm sure Jason and I can give you all the info you need :)

im pretty confident i can do it, i just dont want to damage it haha if i need the head skimming do i need to remove the cams? so i shouldnt worry about rhe timing until the head and new gasket are torqued down ? then get all the marks lined up and everything make sure nothing is touching anything and then fit the new cambelt ?

Edited by corrado2016v

Yep, timing these is easy, as long as you use the marks on the pulleys and align with the cam cover face on the timing belt end, flywheel/ crank mark and timing belt cover arrow and the cam chain gear 'o' marks.

I think the protruding valves mean the head should be stripped to resurface, the piston tops have cut outs for the valves.