VR6 Gar

5th gear just went bang.

Was just overtaking quite hard in 5th when it went bang.

All other gears are fine but there is now nothing in 5th. No grinding or anything.

Ideas as to what has happened?

If ur going to get replacement gears and rebuild it believe I have 5th and 3rd gears for when I went to rebuild my gearbox after blowing 3rd years ago..

Got offered a cheap gearbox just after I had bought them

Ordered specially in from vw.

Paul

You have pm Paul.

Had a quick google and changing 5th gear looks pretty easy.

Anyone know what size multi spline is needed as it wasn't mentioned in the guide I found.

Cheers for that Dox.

Any ideas on a rough price for the parts to do the 5th gear ratio change?

Already running a low final drive making it pretty revvy whilst cruising, so this would be good if not too costly.

Cheers for that Dox.

Any ideas on a rough price for the parts to do the 5th gear ratio change?

Already running a low final drive making it pretty revvy whilst cruising, so this would be good if not too costly.

I've no idea, sorry, its just stuff I posted quickly from a folder in my favourites

No worries, will check with VW.

Just had a poke around and am wondering if its possible to do insitu.

Seems as though there may be enough room if the arch liner is removed to get to 5th without the need to remove the box. Anyone done this?

If you could get the car or the gearbox to my workshop I could change your 5th gear and 3rd gear synchro, although you are quite a way away from Essex :(.

What size turbo and what boost pressure? I know of someone else who stripped 5th using a GT30R running around 18psi.

I used a GT35R for 60K miles and never had any issues with the standard 02A + 3.68 final and quaife.

5th is the smallest gear and at the end of the shaft, so the teeth can be chewed off it easily if the torque comes in too aggressively.

GT3582r @ 14-15psi so nothing crazy. May dial it back 1 or 2 psi though when fixed.

Also running the low final drive.

Was considering going back to normal VR final drive or longer 5th at some point, but then there will be more strain on all gears/5th, so probably won't risk it.

Just had the car out for the first time since it happened and there is a rattling noise now when moving and once whislt stationary which I stopped by dipping the clutch.

Also the clutch pedal is sticking a bit at the top of its travel after it is fully engaged.

So it looks like something else has gone along with 5th and the box is going to have to come off, bad times.