Sign in to follow this  
Sanj

Minature camera in the dash

I folks, igot my hands a wireless spy camera that I want to place in the dashboard as an extra security measure.

The problem that I'm having is how to connect the camera up. it runs on 8v DC supply at 200mW. The car battery runs on 12v DC, which will no doubt fry the camera circuits if connected directly. Do any of you electronics wizz's know how to solve this prob. I understand that you have to step down the voltage using transformers but I can't seem to get a transformer on the market that will do that. Any ideas guys??

Cheers

Sanj.

You need to regulate the car's voltage before stepping it down, as car's don't actually run at 12V, it's more like 14.1V... Once you've got a smoothed 12V, you can simply use a resistor to give you the 8V as per an LED...

12-8/200Mw = 20ohm resistor required once you've stabilised the voltage 8)

I'll see if I can knock up a quick circuit for you as I'm doing very similar but with a camera in my rear VW badge to aid with reversing! ;) 8)

That would be great Henny, I was also thinking of connecting a camera to the rear of the car to help parking etc. Once these camera's are in place I thought of getting a screen to view these. At the moment I want to use the camera to see pics while its parked on the street to keep an eye on pikey sorts!!