Hofmiester

What do I need to do 3.68 final drive conversion?

Thinking now I have the SC installed, it would be nice to keep the car in the powerband more often and so considering changing the final drive. What is involved in this conversion and also any ideas on where the bits can be sourced from?

Thanks

Ron

You need the crown wheel from a Corrado G60 gearbox. Vince at Stealth or HotGolf on the ClubGTI forum are your most likely sources, failing that, an entire G60 gearbox.

You will also need an ARP diff bolt kit. Or buy a Peloquins diff and it comes with the bolts ;)

Then it's a case of stripping the box down and fitting it. You do need a sturdy pillar drill for drilling out the original crown wheel rivets though and you may also need a dial gauge for setting the diff end float as well, but it's all been covered in assorted threads before, but good luck with the search as it's pants!

You need the crown wheel from a Corrado G60 gearbox. Vince at Stealth or HotGolf on the ClubGTI forum are your most likely sources, failing that, an entire G60 gearbox.

You will also need an ARP diff bolt kit. Or buy a Peloquins diff and it comes with the bolts ;)

Then it's a case of stripping the box down and fitting it. You do need a sturdy pillar drill for drilling out the original crown wheel rivets though and you may also need a dial gauge for setting the diff end float as well, but it's all been covered in assorted threads before, but good luck with the search as it's pants!

Thanks for your help Kev

No worries.

FWIW, I got my gearbox rebuilt by Stealth at the same time as adding the 3.68 and Quaife, which saved loads on repeat labour. I got the syncros replaced and the bearings etc and it felt amazing afterwards. It's not cheap obviously if you include the fitting etc, but something to consider. Or get a used VR6 box and send that up to Vince or Hotgolf for a rebuild and fit it yourself.

You can do it DIY though.

Just to be certain what I have is the crown wheel and pinion (main shaft) from a MK3 Golf 16v (02A & DPA code box) - pretty sure its the same as the G60? Can anybody confirm?

No worries.

FWIW, I got my gearbox rebuilt by Stealth at the same time as adding the 3.68 and Quaife, which saved loads on repeat labour. I got the syncros replaced and the bearings etc and it felt amazing afterwards. It's not cheap obviously if you include the fitting etc, but something to consider. Or get a used VR6 box and send that up to Vince or Hotgolf for a rebuild and fit it yourself.

You can do it DIY though.

I do a fair bit myself but the complicated stuff I get done by Michael Boak at MB motorsport, I had a chat with him this morning as he was checking over the SC install for me be sure everything is running right. He seemed confident that it's not a complicated job so I'll probably get him on the case.

My gearbox is OK but starting to show a bit of wear to the syncros as 1-2 can be a little crunchy when cold. It's the next job on the never ending list after body work this month :)

Also, any ideas if the MK3 Golf 16V one Vaughan has offered me is the right one?