Ed21

NA VR6 Tuning advise please.

Firstly sorry if this post irritates some as I know most of the info is out there and I have searched and found a lot but would like some clarification on my plans, thanks in advance guys all input is appreciated.

Finally putting my 86k vr6 back on the road after its much needed respray and two years sitting, before it goes back together I'm spending some on a few extra ponies, nothing major and trying to buy most bits used keeping it na but with a mind to go sc in the future so mods will need to complement the eventual charger.

I have a flowed head with matched lower inlet that i picked up cheap as it needs some refurbing, not sure of origin but apparently it was brought in a gb many years ago on club gti, I'm already running a bmc cda and 2.5" custom decat exhaust, 312mm brakes, silverline x coilies, uprated arb's and fully polybushed.

I'm planning schimmel 263 cams, 315 injectors, raceland manifold, stealth map, possible schrick manifold, oil cooler and larger tb.

What I'd like to know is whether my cam and injector choice is right given that it will go sc eventually, I know many would suggest 268's but I thought the schimmel 263's would give best na results while being a good compromise when the charger is added.

Am I going in the right direction and are there any other mods I should be thinking off???

Many thanks - Ed

Looks like you are heading in the right direction to me but keep in mind that NA tuning is usually no where near as rewarding as a boosted motor and can require more cash to achieve a lesser result.

Looks like you are heading in the right direction to me but keep in mind that NA tuning is usually no where near as rewarding as a boosted motor and can require more cash to achieve a lesser result.

I do certainly agree but my thinking was that by working up a solid na build the eventual charger will be better complimented by the existing mods.

Well the 263's certainly made a difference to the feel of my engine and that was with a standard map a standard exhaust and inlet manifold. I think the majority of the tuning guys say the standard exhaust manifold is already pretty good but I do think the noise is so much better. If you are defo going for a SC I would leave the schrick manifold and save up for the charger.

No need for injectors mate. The orange ones will cope with 263s n map all day long. Tb upsizing is probably a bit fruitless too.

Cheap ish and effective:

Carbon inlet so carbonio or bmc - mostly noise but nice noise

Sp 263s

Map

Nicely made exhaust - again mostly adds some lovely pantomime.

Thanks for the input guys, all good stuff.

Which model Golf does the 3.68 drive typically get donated from btw?

I did think that uprated injectors were not typically needed but given that a set of used red top 315's go pretty cheap and that the inlet manifold and head will be coming off anyway it would be worthwhile given eventual sc plans???

Another thing, is it worth adding a high compression gasket while the car remains NA or are the gains negligible?

You dont need uprated injectors until you are pushing 240bhp onwards. I've got a V9 charger on mine, stage 1 at 6PSI and still on standard injectors. If in doubt, have a chat with Vince at Stealth Racing.

However, some advice from someone who has gone down both roads in the past. I had a VR6 with a VWM VSR, Pack C big valve head, Miltek, Shrick Cams, ported TB etc and it was quicker than standard. I have an RR print out for 218bhp and a big wedge of torque, but cost about £3500 to build when you throw in the remap costs also.

For my current car I went for a Miltek and then a V9 charger at 6psi, no need to rebuild the engine with lower compression and mapping can be bought off the shelf from Stealth as it's a common charger. Car is definately quicker than my NA build (non RR yet but should be 230-240bhp) and total build cost was around £2000 with a second hand charger.

Also for £3500 you can get a nice VRT setup.

I do certainly agree but my thinking was that by working up a solid na build the eventual charger will be better complimented by the existing mods.

Anything you do to improve flow through the engine in n'asp form, will make forced induction a lot better too, so it's not a waste of money in the long run if you're going to keep the car.

Big valve head (forget porting, waste of time)

Cams

BMC

Schrick / VSR (if you can tolerate the 4000rpm step)

Remap

3.68 final drive

That little lot will make a standard VR6 feel incredibly flat.

To do it properly, about the cost of an R32 engine ;)

About £1500 then.... That might have to wait!