Harrier

Bonnet release woes

At the weekend my bonnet release went 'twang' & i discovered the little clip on the release lever had broken.After carefully removing grille i managed to get the bonnet open & stripped out the cable inner & outer & inspected it all & thought it looked fine.

Today i welded onto the release lever a new sturdy cable guide/support & put it all back together this eve & expected it to be fine ,however the drivers side bonnet catch releases ok but passenger side doesn't pull far enough to release catch.

After 2 hrs faffing around with it tonight i gave up & thought it worth asking . Any ideas ?

Thanks. Daren

You could try adjusting the bonnet catch's mate with you saying 1 will release but not other. I recently put new refurbed bonnet catch's on mine and had to do a bit of adjusting as one side would catch but not other. When you pull bonnet release open bonnet and prop then go and push the bonnet release handle as if it is not fully forward it may not catch both bonnet catch's then try and close bonnet see if both catch it work's with mine mate Good Luck.

I think your cable needs adjusting , if you undo the adjuster a little bit and pull the cable wire around 5 or 8 mm , then re tighten it should release ok .

I've adjusted cable & even pre-tensioned it but no good, i probably need to adjust bonnet catches as Clumpy suggests but its always been fine till now, might help doing it in daylight aswell !

Darren I went from totally how the catches I removed to the probably the furthest from that and almost everything inbetween really doing my head in then my Vauxhall Nut mate quip's "have u pushed the bonnet release forward" First try with bonnet catches set to original's spot on.Daylight is helpful.

I had this problem after re fitting my cable, i had basically routed the very end outer sleeve wrong, i had took the sleep through a metal loop which i thought it went through, turns out it didnt! after routing it correctly all was fine.

A bit of numptyism from myself, had made same mistake as Wesleyvr6 , once the cable was re-routed it was fine. That was after wasting another half hour looking for the grub screw which i managed to drop down behind the rad :bonk: At least its fixed & i am pleased with the repair job on the release handle, i don't have that silly clip to worry about any more.thanks .Daren