vw bobby

What Turbo To Use?

Hi All,

I am looking to do a 1.8T AUG engine swap in my corrado soon and I already have the engine.

I want to up rate the turbo, but which is the best turbo to use on my engine with standard internals? Also what is the maximum power output the standard internals can take?

Cheers

Bobby

Probably best to ask that on UK-MKIVs to be honest but my mate put a K04-01 turbo on his AGU and made about 280hp with an uprated side mount. They can't really take much more than that. They have the same rods as a 16V! BAM is a lot stronger.

BAM is the way forward mate.... If you use the AUG it will end up costing you more in the end anyway. If you guna do it do it properly.

Dont rule out the VRT route either, with Corrado's and mk3's being broken left right and centre you can easily get hold of a nice VR lump.

I would love a vrT, but the insurance will be a nightmare, let alone what the 1.8T will be, but hopefully still cheaper. Also 1.8T will be cheaper on the fuel to a VrT

Another thing I've seen on 1.8Ts with bigger turbos is the exhaust struggling to escape the cylinders, which can bend a rod. The ports on the AGU fanimold are ridiculously small. So you'll need an aftermarket high flow manifold if you want to get serious.

IMO, you'd be better of getting a BAM from a TT or a Leon Cupra R engine.

Cheers for the kind words chaps :D

Would it not be easier to upgrade the manifold to a transverse tubular manifold and the run a KO4 on the AUG engine?

Doesn't have to be a fancy tubular manifold, just something like this - http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-exhaust-manifold-high-flow-stock-fit-18t-p-784.html

With the AGU you will be limited by the strength of the internals though, and it's an old engine with old management, old cable throttle, old injectors etc etc. The BAM is stronger internally, has decent management, decent injectors and DBW, so you can add cruise control etc if you wanted.

It's your choice though :D The AGU will be fine so long as you don't exceed much more than 300hp.

That is a big help mate, I am only looking for about 250-260bhp and about 280lbft, as it will be a daily driver.

Thanks again for all the help mate

Cheers for the kind words chaps :D

Doesn't have to be a fancy tubular manifold, just something like this - http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-exhaust-manifold-high-flow-stock-fit-18t-p-784.html

With the AGU you will be limited by the strength of the internals though, and it's an old engine with old management, old cable throttle, old injectors etc etc. The BAM is stronger internally, has decent management, decent injectors and DBW, so you can add cruise control etc if you wanted.

It's your choice though :D The AGU will be fine so long as you don't exceed much more than 300hp.

Will this work?

Basically I am looking at a turbo manifold for a K04 conversion and seen this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360738089273?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It states it can only be used on:

Audi TT 1.8T turbo 2000-2006 models.

VW Golf MK4 1.8T turbo 1999-2006 models.

VW Jetta 1.8T turbo 2000-2005 models.

VW Beetle 1.8T turbo 1999-2005 models.

Seat Leon 1.8T turbo 1998-2004 models.

So will this suit my AUG engine, which came out of a 1998 Audi A3?

With no relevance to your question just thought i may bring Bar-Tek to your attention (http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/) they are a seriously sick VAG only tuning company in Germany offering everything from valve springs to complete turbo kits. Might be worth a browse with what you are planning some really interesting stuff on there with quality second to none.

Yeah good shout on Bar-Tek. Have you seen how cheap their R32 Schrick cams are? :D

Anyway, I digress. 280hp as a daily is fine on the AGU. As mentioned, my mate did that to his MK4 GTI. Bigger manifold, bigger side mount and the K04-01 turbo (from the Audi B5 RS4) and it made 280hp and around 300 torque all day long. Stealth mapped it after AmD made an utter pigs ear of it and he's put 30-40K on it since then with no issues. The motor is original too and well over 200K. Used the original clutch for over 60K of that too!!

I ran an Octavia VRS (an AUQ engine) with an IHI VF34 on (fitted by jabba) no internal work done, it made 340 bhp on jabbas rollers and 325 bhp on RSTunings.

The car did 70K miles with that conversion and was still running fine when I sold it. However most advise that the AUQ and IHI VF34 are only reliable to 300bhp.

Like the guys say though, better to buy a BAM engine as AGU/AUQ will set you back 2-300 hundred quid without a turbo or 4-500 with a turbo (K03 on the AGU is only good for 200bhp and the KO3s on the AUG is about 220 tops)

Then you'll spend £600-900 on a new turbo, plus a manifold to mount it on, plus lot of other little bits that need uprating. You'll have spent at least £1500 on the engine and turbo alone. Plus mapping.

You can buy a good BAM engine with a Ko4 turbo for about £700-800 and that's ready to make 270bhp with just a map.

Yeah good shout on Bar-Tek. Have you seen how cheap their R32 Schrick cams are? :D

I spend way to much time peeving on the Bar-Tek website haha

Cheers guys, that is a big help, now I am thinking of selling the AUG and going for a BAM engine, as it more of a beneficial option for me

Sounds good. AGU used to be THE 20V turbo to have, because of it's 'big port' head. Then they started sticking AGU heads onto BAM blocks. Then they eventually realised the AGU head actually makes little to no difference and just starting sticking complete BAMs in again!

The 2.0 FSI / TFSI / TSI engines are now going through the same kind of "use this head on that block and get 4 billion more hp" type discussions :D