VR6 Lee

Sunroof seal - Replace

How hard is this to change as my sunroof seal has perished away so have a feeling I could be getting rained on very soon

Any help is much appreciated

easier to get a second hand glass online mate...

and the seal is for wind noise rather than water imo... its designed to let water in and disperse is down the drainage channels in the pillars. If you do get leaked on, it will be a blocked drainage channel over a sunroof glass seal

Very very easy mate. Whip the panel out, remove the old and bob on the new. There may well be some excess to trim but thats about it.....

Vw reccomend that the edges meet at the side which is probably how yours is now, I made mine meet at the back but thats just me Lee.

Panel is held in by 4 bolts btw. Tilt your sr then slide the lining back into the car ;) this exposes the bolts/ screws.

Very very easy mate. Whip the panel out, remove the old and bob on the new. There may well be some excess to trim but thats about it.....

Vw reccomend that the edges meet at the side which is probably how yours is now, I made mine meet at the back but thats just me Lee.

Panel is held in by 4 bolts btw. Tilt your sr then slide the lining back into the car ;) this exposes the bolts/ screws.

I'm doing mine over the winter nice one Chris.

And dont forget bucket of water, rubber mallet, cushions and set the height correct when you finish or you will scratch the panel.

Is this for a glass roof or steel?

On both, I've found it easier to superglue the leading edge to the panel (stops it moving when fitting the rest of the seal), heat the seal with a hair dryer / heat gun, smear a light amount of fairy liquid onto the panel and whilst stretching it at the same time, press or tap it on. When you go all the way round and meet the leading edge, cut it a few mill short, dab some glue on the panel, stretch the seal to close the gap, press and hold until the glue sets. Done.

iv got mine to do again, and yes about the glue! over the months my seal has shrunk back on itself leaving me with a nice 1/4" gap at the join, so will be refitting it and glueing it in place this time, thanks for posting up on how to remove the just the panel , the only way I knew how was to drop the whole sun roof from the car , right pita by yourself and completely unnecessary ;)

Sounds easy :)

Oh yeah, piece of p1ss! With the roof tilted, sharply jolt panel liner with your hand to detach the clips, slide back into the roof, undo the 4 torx bolts, lift roof out :D

To realign it afterwards. the front must sit 1mm lower than the roof line and the rear must sit 1mm proud.