rishi

starting vr6 after 3 years

hi all, my daily audi tt was stolen on sunday, so now I have decided to get my corrado on road, has been in the garage for 3 years. before I parked it up it was running perfect and had just had a full service and clutch. I put a battery on it and now its mmisfiring and hesitating when accelerating the car also got really hot and coolant was gushing out of the expansion tank any ideas on how to get it sorted quickly? any help would be great.

also does anyone know how to wire up the fans to a dash switch as I always get paranoid about the corrados temp.

Edited by rishi

So you left coolant, oil and fuel in the car for 3 years? Start by changing all these fluids, they have a useful life and are probably beyond it. Fuel also doesn't bode we'll over time. I'd hazard a guess that your misfire is from the old petrol.

This is what I know though, a more knowledgable person will be able to say more

Agreed. I think I would have given it a bit more of a comprehensive going over after leaving it stood for three years before just sticking a battery in and turning the key! There could be any number of issues here. Full fluid change for a start, including new fuel (could easily be the cause of your misfiring) - the coolant gushing out of the expansion tank and high temperatures could be any number of things :(

hi all, my daily audi tt was stolen on sunday, so now I have decided to get my corrado on road, has been in the garage for 3 years. before I parked it up it was running perfect and had just had a full service and clutch. I put a battery on it and now its mmisfiring and hesitating when accelerating the car also got really hot and coolant was gushing out of the expansion tank any ideas on how to get it sorted quickly? any help would be great.

also does anyone know how to wire up the fans to a dash switch as I always get paranoid about the corrados temp.

when you have sorted your niggles have a good look at your brakes before you go out... rado brakes a prone to seizing if left stood. been their done that :(

when you have sorted your niggles have a good look at your brakes before you go out... rado brakes a prone to seizing if left stood. been their done that :(

brakes are fine as the handbrake wasn't on. also there was hardly any fuel so i fut anout £30 worth of vpower petrol in. also oil is ****ing out the oil pressure sender so a new one from TPS has been ordered. anything else i should be doing?

Remove the hoses from the radiator and flush the rad and engine block with a hose pipe. Refill with coolant once thoroughly flushed.

Remove the plugs and see which cylinders are not firing and go from there looking for the cause of the misfire.

Check all breathers and inlet hoses for splits etc that cause hesitation.

Remove the hoses from the radiator and flush the rad and engine block with a hose pipe. Refill with coolant once thoroughly flushed.

Remove the plugs and see which cylinders are not firing and go from there looking for the cause of the misfire.

Check all breathers and inlet hoses for splits etc that cause hesitation.

Will do that, thanks. Also i forgot to mention that when i start the car it switches off immediately and does this 2-3 times in a row before it fires up and stays on

Will do that, thanks. Also i forgot to mention that when i start the car it switches off immediately and does this 2-3 times in a row before it fires up and stays on

Immobiliser faults will allow just a few rotations of the engine before cutting out, try another key

hi guys quick update, replaced the oil pressure switch thingy on the oil cooler, that has cured the oil leak. I did a coolant flush but couldn't get to anything without taking off the slam panel and front bumper. Any way flushed the coolant and saw that there was a lot of buildup in the actual radiator so now my questions are:

1) "WHAT IS THE BEST RADIATOR TO GO FOR?"

2) "IS IT WORT UPGRADDING?"

Whilst running the car at idle to do the coolant flush I investigated the misfire and saw that 2 oh my ht leads leads were arcing (even though they were brand new and fitted about 3 weeks before I parked it up)now question 3:

3) "WHICH HT LEADS AS I WANT RED ONES (someone once told me a few years back that mk4 red leads were the ones to go for and the bonus about them is they have rubber loops that are used to pull for removal)

4) "ANY IDEA WHICH LEADS THEY ARE? PART NUMBER ETC.."

#have seen these - http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--VR6_12v/ES248981/

is there a uk supplier?

5) "LOWER TEMP FAN SWITCH - MINE HAS 3 PIN SQUARE WITH ROUNDED CORNERS TYPE PLUG (THE PINS ARE IN A TRIANGLE FORMATION) any idea on part number for a lower temp one?"

thanks once again guys.

Edited by rishi

Google adrad or advanced radiators. Based in north east and come recommended.

Re cooling issues id swap your thermostat, flush it and maybe new temp senders too.

The best radiator is the Hella one, it's about £140.

Google adrad or advanced radiators. Based in north east and come recommended.

Re cooling issues id swap your thermostat, flush it and maybe new temp senders too.

Adrad sell the hella ones, where i got mine from. very good price and a very good item

ok guys adrad hella radiator ordered £126 delivered. Theres an oil cooler kit on ebay by seller toyosports £100.. any good?

Also anything else I should be doing? any source for a set of red ht leads as the ones from ecs are a bit too pricey?

my rad came today, excited to fit it on the weekend, does anyone know the part number for the low temp fan switch? mine has 3 pins in a triangle layout and the casing is square with rounded corners.did have a look at the vr6 cooling guide but the part number is for early type with 3 pins in a row.

cant seem to find it on there, just in a hurry to get back on road as courtesy car goes back to insurance tomorrow.

I think im jinxed :-( fitted new rad... all good. Borrowed my mates battery which was a bit too big for the battery tray so it somehow started rubbing against my fan and burst battery acid all over my engine and bay.. polished manifold looks like crap now :-( now my stage 3 fan is constantly on as soon as the key is in the ignition. rubber of hy leads have been eaten up and has melted and deformed plastic covers, also paint has been stripped under bonnet and new shiny rad looks foooooked not to mention the fan cowling which I sanded down and painted in satin black. don't know what TO DO... I mixed baking soda with water and washed the whole bay... any ideas what I should be doing??