Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Squeeky suspension

Right, here goes- my first prob with my new C (sigh :roll: ):

Every little bump I go over the car squeeks. Didn't really notice at first, but since it's been warm I've been driving with the windows down and it's actually quite loud. I've got to sort it 'cos it's doing my head in! :mad:

The car is fitted with FK Konigsport coilovers and 17" Stilauto alloys. The ride is fine, the car brakes well and doesn't pull in any odd directions- there don't seem to be any other symptoms of the squeeking. Any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

It would help if you could narrow it down... Does it squeak when the front end hits a bump, or is it the back? Does it squeak if you brake really hard suddenly? Is the noise coming during suspension compression or during suspension recovery..?

Or it could be the thing that squeaks on all Corrados. The squeaker. Consider it a feature. ;)

Hi Andy,

I always thought that squeaking noise was coming from the dash when I had it - guess I was wrong! :oops:

Could it be the 'helper' spring (smaller spring) on the coilovers rubbing on the main one? Try a bit of the silicon spray I gave you on the springs and see if that helps.

I've seen your other thread on decating the car - I think you will find that the cat test came into force for all cars reg'd after Aug '92. Try this site - should clear things up:

http://www.bobmckay.co.uk/p_emissions.html

HTH

Cheers

Mark

Or it could be the thing that squeaks on all Corrados. The squeaker. Consider it a feature.

:lol: Nah, different to that one! :wink:

Quite difficult to tell exactly whether it's compression or recovery. Probably a bit of both :?

Mark, definately from the springs outside- with the windows down it's really obvious. I'll try some lube!

Looking good for a de-cat, although I'm gonna do a bit more research :wink:

Cheers

This might seem slightly off the wall, but it's exactly what I had..... and it turned out to be the rear spring upper plates had corroded right through on one side, giving an unintentional 10mm ride drop at the rear and an annoying and mystifying squeek as the spring top moved against the bodywork it was now resting on! Easy way to tell is shine a torch or feel under the top of the rear wheel arches and check that the spring plates on top of the top of the springs are in good condition and that there is a finger sized gap between the plate and the bodywork. A quick and easy check and worth a quick look, might just be the cause?

Kvwloon, cheers for that, will check later :) How much did it cost to fix?

Brian, unfortunately I sold the VR- 'cos I'm getting married and it cost sooo much to run. Wish I'd kept it now as I've had nothing but probs with cars since :? The VR's also been written off.... :cry: How's the G60? Thought about getting another, but bought a lovely 16v instead to tide me over :)

Cheers

AndyVR6, Didn't cost much to fix, only involves dropping out the rear strut, unbolting the nut above the plate etc and replacing the upper spring plate (these seem to corrode readily), and refitting rear strut. DIY job, don't even need spring compressors for the rear as I recall. Spring plates are only about £12 each, one per strut. Worth getting new nut as well as will probably be corroded to hell if the plate is. Let us know if that's the problem, Gold Star for me if it is! :lol: