Robaidh

Distributor cap?

hi folks

ive just serviced my g60 because 1 it was in need and 2 it was running a little rough. will changing the DISTRIBUTOR CAP help or is it worth doing? ive changed the plugs but not the leads but to my knowllage their uprated ones anyway.

whats your thoughs?

Well worth it if its not been done in a while. Take it off and have a look at the points, will give you an indication if it needs changing or not. You may be able to clean them up a bit if theyre not too bad. Worth doing the rotor arm as well at the same time.

Well worth it if its not been done in a while. Take it off and have a look at the points, will give you an indication if it needs changing or not. You may be able to clean them up a bit if theyre not too bad. Worth doing the rotor arm as well at the same time.

okay great, ive never done one hence why i am asking. does it just pop off?

get the rotor arm as well..and pay keen attention to the leads when swapping them onto the new cap , its easy to get mixed up

get the rotor arm as well..and pay keen attention to the leads when swapping them onto the new cap , its easy to get mixed up

like replace the rotor arm? yeah i will take plenty pictures haha

Yeah replace it. It may just pull off, but most of the time they're glued on so you'll probably end up destroying it to get it off. New one will just push on. The leads on the dizzy have to be in the right sequence for firing order, so I'd suggest putting a bit of tape on each lead and writing where they go. (Top, bottom, front, back) sort of thing.

I changed mine a few days ago as it was pretty worn out.

Took 5 minutes. All I did was;

1)Put the kettle on to boil.

2)Number'd the plugs from top left going anti-clockwise so it was just a case of clipping them back in.

3)Undo the two clips holding the cap in place.

3)Pull the cap off.

4)Pour boiled water into mug over teabag.

5)Give the rotor arm a few smooth tugs to pull it off.

6)Slot the new rotor arm in. (It will only go on one way as it has a keyway).

7)Add milk, stir, remove teabag.

8)Put cap back on.

9)Put leads back on.

10)Smile with a cup of tea :)

if the rotor arm is stuck on ..make sure the new one is the right part then crush the old one with pliers to get it off