ausgolfer

G60 performance kit installed now no torque below 3k?

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just installed all the components of a performance kit for my G60.

K&N panel filter

New leads and plugs

Schrick Asymetric cam(and new lifters) Think its 268/276.

68mm pulley

Chip

I haven't put in the 3.5Bar FPR yet but will soon.

I'm fairly sure I installed everything correctly. But now the car has very little to no torque below 3000RPM. Is smooth though. Just no torque.

Wondering if I have put the cam a tooth out or if it needs to be fitted with an adjustable cam timing gear?

I can't imagine the cam(unless I've stuffed up the timing) and smaller pulley would cause this drastic loss of bottom end power.

Any help or advice would be great.

double check cam and ign timing

Not really sure how to aside from checking the distributor is at the block while the cam dot is at the top of the head...

I mean it idles find and revs fine.

once your sure the cam belt marks line up properly , you would need to run the car up and set the ign timing by using a strobe light

its set at 2000-2500 revs with the blue temp sender off

Thanks for the advice guys. I may just get a proper mechanic to check the ignition timing for me.

Would the cam being out by a tooth either way potentially cause a problem like this? Or would I have valves hitting pistons :p

I would have thought if any damage has been done, with timing out. You would have known about it the moment you had revved it up to 3K.

You have 2 options.

1. Take it to mechanic to check over it.

2. Revert back to stock, and then check if everything is running okay.

Fit the the chip and pulley only, and check if everything is running okay.

Fit cam, check if everything is running okay.

Edited by sankysvr6

yeah a tooth out would cause this kinda problem

be aware it needs the ign timing set a certain way so make the mechanic knows these cars

Take the spark plugs out, remove the cam cover, insert a clean screwdriver into the spark plug hole on number one cylinder (nearest the cambelt), using a ratchet and appropriate socket on the crank pulley bolt turn the engine clockwise until the piston reaches top dead centre.

Look at the cam lobes, when viewed from the pulley end are the roughly 10 to and 10 past the hour on a clock face (valves closed)? If yes check the cam timing and dizzy marks align where they should, if no rotate the engine one full turn and check the cam and dizzy timing marks again.

The number one piston must be exactly at TDC and both the inlet and exhaust valves for number one cylinder are closed when checking the cam / dizzy align with there appropriate set up markings

theres a cam belt timing guide on the engine page at the top

inside notch lines up with the head surface or gasket depending on who you ask

g60cambelt002.jpg

g60cambelt004.jpg

outside of the pully has 2 dots...shove a pointer/screwdriver through between the 2 and it should line up the v shape on the rocker cover if you look carefull in the pic

g60cambelt005.jpg

bottom end..use the flywheel marking viewed through the timing cover , once its right turn the engine over by hand and recheck until happy