Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

2 problems i need help with

1st problem is my engine is overheating,the problem being the cooling fans arnt kicking in,

most probably a sensor fault but which one would it be

2nd problem the central locking/electric widow fuse keeps blowing,i had this problem at all types at the weekend,so i had to leave the widows down all night,found the fuse after a lot of head scratching and searching,replaced the fuse but just keeps blowing,sometimes it takes a while to blow,but now the windows work but the central locking isnt...anyone got any ideas...if any of that makes any sense

I'm no expert, but.....got any chafed / shorted / burnt out wiring anywhere? Are you 100% sure the fuses are the correct rating for the location! That's all I would look for first off...after that I'd probably be lost where electrics are concerned :roll:

Fan? Check for a dodgy thermo switch by taking the multiplug off it and connecting a piece of wire between the red and either the red/white or red/brown wires with the ignition switched on... if the fan spins with one or both, you have a dodgy thermo switch, time for a new one... (the thermo switch lives in the rad just down from the battery on the enginebay side of the rad) If the fan doesn't spin, check for 12V on the red wire with the ignition on... if there's no voltage, you've got a dead wire or fuse between the fusebox and that point... :? If there's 12V, then it's looking like your fan motor is goosed... Take the connector off the fan, and bridge the red wire on the thermo connector again (either wire to red, doesn't matter which) test the fan's connector of the same colour for 12V against the brown wire on the connector (IIRC red/white = low speed switched 12V, red/brown = high speed 12V and brown = earth) If there's 12V on both of these when you test 'em, you need a new fan... if not, you've got a broken or disconnected wire... :|

Guess who's just gone through all of this! ;) I've ended up putting a relay in to the fan circuit as I found that, as with the headlamps, I wasn't gettting 12V (or more!) at the fan anymore... I was actually only getting 8V! :shock:

Dunno about the central locking/window fault... sorry... :?

very very very long shot here btw........i seem to remember amit judge aka rado16v(i think.....sorry bit vague)having a window fuse blowing problem either on the forum or in a thread on the e-group a fair while back......and if i remember correctly it had something to do with his reverse light switch or fuse too......being really really vague here btw

getting even stranger now...when i have the windows open and take the keys out they close on there own..and the central locking isnt working at all :?

It's not something to do with the alarm/total closure module is it? Only reason I say that, is I was having some really odd problems with indicators which break into the alarm circuit at the hazards. Could have something to do with it? Dunno, I can recommend Andy at Electrifying Touch if you have any alarm related problems. The man is a legend. Give me a shout if you need his number.

Thanks

randal

sounds like you have a faulty alarm module, or the switch on the driver's door lock has become faulty and is sending the "close windows and lock" signal all the time... :|

that's what I reckon it is now, Gav... more I've thought about it, the more that makes sense... 8)

right,sorted the central locking problem,it was a broken wire on the door switch,as henny and gav said,but the windows still close when i turn the ignition off,and the central locking wont work of the alarm remote

sounds like you have an alarm fault, probably caused by the shorted wire in the door handle.... :|