Jamie

VSR Hitting Bonnet - Solved

Hang on chaps - are we now saying the VSR shouldn't need the bonnet modifying and it's an engine mount problem? :confused:

The Schrick definitely hit the bonnet but the VSR should not as it's not much bigger than the standard one, if at all? Was the VSR available to the Corrado? I know it was a VR6 option back in the day but was it just on the Golf? I can't imagine VW would fit something to the Corrado that would hit the bonnet!

Something is amiss here. What make are the mounts? I had Vibras and a Schrick on mine and it never hit the bonnet. I just had to clearance the slightest amount of metal off the support brace in the relevant area, but that was an official Schrick fix for the Corrado only.

Is the rear mount uprated as well?

Not sure what mounts they are Kev - they were on the car when I got it. Haven't checked the rear one yet. Just had to get something out the garage so had a quick look at the front mount and from what I can see it does seem to be seated correctly. However the engine definitely seems to sit high on the offside - is this normal?

null_zpsf8539e4d.jpg

Its been a few years since I've looked at a VR from that angle but that definitely doesn't look right. Looks like it's you rear mount that's causing the issue though

Can't see the pic as I'm at work but VR6s do naturally tilt down a little bit at the gearbox end. I'll have a look later.

So we have a late bonnet & a VSR, therefore it can only be the aftermarket mounts causing this. I'm thinking they might be cheapy poly ones that aren't the right height in which case snipping them down a bit as suggested might be the only option, unless you want to replace them with proper mounts :)

Cheapy poly mounts just mirror the height of a new, standard mount, but Vibratechnics match the height of a standard mount which is compressed by the engine weight, so the engine always sits right with Vibras.

Ooft, that is sitting high. Although I would say the front it the main issue, but if you have the wrong front, you probably have the wrong rear too hence why it's all skeewhiff.

Just been under the car - both front and rear mounts seem ok. Rear mount is stock but looks almost new and front is an aftermarket poly but looks newish and can't see anything untoward with either. I'm no expert on these cars but does this look normal? Should what looks like threaded holes be bolted to something?

null_zps8d12bc1f.jpg

null_zps3b24b4e9.jpg

Right I think I've found my problem. I'm assuming these two bits are supposed to be joined? :(

null_zpscbdaefcc.jpg

Yep. Yet another expense I could do without but at least I know what was causing it now...