ExR32

Starter Motor Issues

Hi all!

Once again the Corrado is giving me grief.

Appears the starter is sticking permanently, makes that horrendous noise after turning key and wont start, yet the noise remains when key is pulled out. Disconnected the battery to stop it. Gave the motor a whack and it fixes the problem, but only to give you one start as on the 2nd start, it does it again.

Does the motor need replacing? Read about solenoid issues, do they effectively come together when you buy a starter motor?

Read various bits on hot to replace, could someone advise best place (with pic if poss) to jack the car up?

Many thanks!

There is a small round copper bit in the gearbox that the starter goes into when you turn key. Mine had totally worn away and caused horrible noises.

I would also look at the ignition switch , robbie vr had the same symptoms as you . Starter motor was changed with no difference . He then got a wire connected to the ignition with the switch taken out [like a hotwire] put it on the battery terminal and it fired every time . So worth changing it for £27.00 .

Hi all,

Its for a 91 G60. If I hit the starter with a hammer, reconnect the Batt it will start, but as soon as I turn it off, try to start it again the same thing happens! Ive had enough really.

Yeah I'd say the solenoid is sticking and if your lucky just the starter motor gear is goosed. Worst case is that as its been sticking on continuously for a while, its shredded the ring gear on the flywheel too.

Starter motor is a diy job and not too expensive, and you'll be able to see the ring gear with the starter removed to assess if there is any damage. If that needs replacing then its a gearbox off job unfortunately. Dont let it put you off though, its far more likely to be starter motor only so see how you go mate.