Roger Chatfield

Castrol Edge 5W-30 Fully Synth

I'd say a bit too thin, that's more the spec for modern engines, don't think your tappets will like it, a 10-40 semi synthetic is fine.

Agreed. I think it was the reccommended oil for a nice, new, tight VR6 engine but I think with the ages and mileages we're talking about now you want 10w40..

The trouble is, oil seals (crank mains mainly) tend to harden with age and a modern oil like that could literally p1ss past the seals as it's flow rate is very different to a 90s spec 10W/40.. Some folk think that is an old wives tale, but it's not.

Modern engines now have Teflon seals and have done away with old cork and rubber gaskets on sumps and engine covers in favour of machined surfaces with silicon.

Modern engines now have Teflon seals and have done away with old cork and rubber gaskets on sumps and engine covers in favour of machined surfaces with silicon.

you'd think so wouldn't you, then they go and put rubber hoses and rubber seals on breather units which rot away

Yeah, perishables will always be deliberately perishable to make money on parts, but anything to do with the engine internals these days is much tighter controlled!