Jim Bowen

ARP head studs, reusable?

I woulf think so as tgats tge advantage of using them ie being able to refit them on head removal/ inspection

If i fit ARP head studs to a block, can they be removed from that block and reused in another engine?

I found the below post on dsmtuners.com for you jim.....hopefully it will help

FYI: Reusing ARP Head Studs

Many of you may already know this but for those who are unsure I contacted ARP yesterday regarding how you can determine whether or not it is safe to reuse the head studs. I had a phone conversation with on of the tech support guys who told me that unlike the rod bolts (which you can measure to see if the amount of stretch is within allowable limits) the recommended criteria for the head studs is a subjective one. If the stud feels tight when you reach the recommended torque specification then it is o.k. If it feels soft or spongy at this torque value then it should be replaced. They subsequently sent me an email as well reiterating the same thing:

"As long as you have not exceeded the recommended torque for that

fastener, and it takes the torque and does not feel spongy, the stud

should be fine."

I just want to emphasize how important it is to adhere to ARP's recommended install instructions and torque specifications.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some of you guys.

Nice one.

Still not sure if i should get them or just use some bolts. I wonder if they sell single ARP replacements.

How often are you planning on reusing them? The main advantage of ARPs is they're stronger than the OEM bolts in boost applications. If you're not using boost, stick to the standard bolts.

Well got two 12v engines, one in the car and the other in bits which i will rebuild. But can see me swapping heads on the one in the car at the moment, so might buy some arps to use in car, then swap them to the new engine at some point. Didn't wanna put too much money into the engine i'm using now as it will be removed next year.