JimVR6

Dipstick?

Quick question, hope it's not too idiotic. My last VR most definitely didn't have the orange funnel guide that sits below the handle. Am I correct in saying I need to leave this on for a correct oil reading? I ask because a recent car I bought has one and with it on and inserted it will not read any oil. I'm wondering if its reading correct and its very low on oil. Removing it gets a reading at the correct level, so I'm not sure how the previous owner has been gauging it.

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Ive always taken the reading with with the orange funnel guide in place. Sorry never had that orange funnel on my late vr...I got mixed up with a mk3 golf GTi which did.

Edited by VWVW

My previous VR6, a 1993 model, did have an orange plastic funnel at the top of the dip stick tube but my current 1994 model does not. The top of the dip stick tube on my current car is simply slightly flared. The dip stick on my current car has the part number 021 115 611 L and it has a red plastic handle. The metal dip stick itself, excluding the handle, is 53cms long to the tip. Hope this helps. Should you need the orange plastic funnel, the part number is 053 103 663 and it is readily available on e-bay.

Well this is a 1992. It sits flush with the orange part in place but removed it doesn't line up properly so presumably it is meant to be there. Which if it is, means I'm fairly low on oil..

Not noticed it on mine, but the dipstick has a sort of seal on it that fits the tube just right so don't think i'm missing anything

Well I've topped it up to mid way through the cross hatching with the funnel on, as it looks like that is how it was intended. Maybe they are for early ones? It took a good 1.8 litres to start reading, but seems fine now and seems.. happier. It'll do till I get a full oil change done.

My late 1993 didn't have a orange guide, nor did a 1997 OBD2 engine I broke.