maff

Identifying passenger side footwell leak

First job I am tacking with my new corrado vr6 is a footwell leak I have in the rear and front passenger footwells.

I removed the foliage tray to find that the scuttle panels have fallen victim to a poorly fitted windscreen in the past whereby most of the fixing clips are either not there and the scuttle panel has been stuck down with bonding agent.

Would these holes below where the clips should fit let in water?

image_zps549dad8e.jpg

image_zps34fb31d7.jpg

If this is the source of the leak after I've done a bit more investigating then I need to source some new fixing clips and the rubber grommets the fit into the scuttle, I've done a search and I take it I can get the clips from vw but the rubber grommets I have to get from elsewhere?

Might nip to my local dealers today and see what they can get, can't get

Yeah i've got the vent cover, just removed it for photos.

And just rang listers vw and the clips were made obsolete from july this year:-(, so vw heritage is looking like my bet

Part number for the clips is 535 853 832A and you need 10. Part number for the plastic inserts is 535 853 837, 10 required also.

I got the clips from my dealer earlier in the year and the plastic inserts came from Classic Parts in Germany via VW Heritage, I think they were around 27p each.

I just found these on e-bay, only 5, but complete clips and inserts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Corrado-Wiper-Scuttle-Clips-/151163078188?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233205862c

Edited by leon263

Also check the foliage cover - the square grid box cover in your 1st picture...Water could be coming in from there as their is also a rubber gasket in there that can perish.

Edited by VWVW

Check that the drain holes in the inner wing at either end of the scuttle area are not blocked with dead leaves etc. as this can lead to a puddle forming. Any water collecting in the scuttle are should be able to drain away through the inner wings.

On investigation I have found three tiny holes which have been drilled in 3mm drill bit size, must of been drilled from inside the car outwards maybe to fit a tracker or alarm etc? this was right under where the ecu sits, also the foliage cover was not the best so will be sorting this out tonight

There is a pic of the offending hols in the members section under storm grey vr6, can't seem to link photos at the mo

Hows the coolant level ? I had the same problem on my Golf VR and tried locating all possible leaks in the end it was the heater matrix dumping the water into the car it affected the front and rear footwells passenger side

The heater matrix has just been done, so definatly not that, coolant level is smack on also, might check the sort membrane just to be safe but it's definatly the three holes that's letting water in