rickdonald

Opinions please.

I knew getting rid of my Corrado was going to be painfull, but I didnt realise it would be this painfull!

Due to a change in circumstances, having to commute alot more than I used to, and not having any space to store it, I'm having to give up the Corrado and move on. So I have bought an old (w202) c-class 220cdi, and have managed to sell the VW (painfull enough)

But now I have just rang Brentacre and been told that to change my policy from an insurance group "18/20" 1994 VW Corrado VR6, to a group "23/50" (new rating) 2000 Merc C220 CDI, will cost me £75!!!!

Can anyone explain how? I was ready for an admin fee of maybe £25, which would of been abit annoying, but for it to actually increase my premium? It makes it even more painfull that I have two policies with them, and have done for a few years now. Just dont seem to get any loyalty recognition at all.

The only reason the guy could give me was that it's a bigger car...? Which ok yes I agree, it is bigger, but also slower, a lot safer, worth less, not modified, an estate....pretty much a grandad wagon! (no offence to anyone)

Anyone got any suggestions or comment?

Cheers

Rick

Apparently insurance can also be based / have included volume of crashes / incidents...As the Merc is a more "common" car than the corrado, chances are it has been involved in more incidents so the insurance could be higher...

Sounds like they're trying it on, but as above, they've always got an excuse to justify it. "Cost of repair", "frequency of claims", blah blah. Usual insurance horse schitt.

Yep I know what you mean, I kind of expected a little better from Brentacre though.

Going to give them a ring later on and see if I can speak to someone else. I've had this before, where the first person I speak to just seems to want to do their job and get off the phone, whereas I have then rang back and spoken to someone else who is much more helpful.

Either way if there is no change, I guess I have to go through with it, won’t be renewing with them though.

Cheers guys

Had you owned the Corrado for a while? (I notice you have been a member since 2011), often you get good discounts for ownership if you have owned a while?

Is the car value increasing? You mentioned you are commuting a lot more now - did you increase the mileage on the policy as this could put the premium up?

Had owned my VR6 for 4 years, and a valver before that for another 4 years, so could of possibly been that!

Nope that was keeping the policy exactly the same, no change in mileage, or type of cover just a straight swap of vehicle, and the value of the car went from £1500 for the corrado, to £800 for the Merc.

Either way I had to go for it, becasue the ammount I would of got back if I'd of cancelled would of made it worse. So I paid it, will be having a good look round come next renewal time though.