Kempy

gauges

Hi

I have wired up a vdo oil pressure gauge. At the moment its all running directly off the battery.

How do I wire it to the ignition, it's got illumination also, I do have a wiring diagram but I not sure how to use the ignition rather than a permanent live?

you just need a switched live from behind the dash somewhere, something like the feed to the heater blower speed switch, illumination can be taken off the ash tray illumination feed.

Thinking about another gauge, as I might fit the gauge pod under the stereo. Is the voltage one straight forward to wire up? Is a voltage one of more use than any other gauge?

I'm not sure the voltage gauge is of much use TBH, if the alternator stops charging the red light will come on the dash anyway, but it's nice to see you have full charging voltage on the gauge anyway :)

I did find the various feeds in the dash loom to give less than battery voltage though, I think there's a lot of voltage drop in the switching and wiring in the car, I'd test what voltage you get with a multimeter first before wiring it all up, you might find you need to try another feed to get the full 13.8 volts reading or close to that.

Is a oil temp gauge more use than a voltage one? I've bought a panel for 2 gauges. I could just put mints in it lol

Of course lol. Problem is actually mine isn't working. I need a loom again for it, it's shorting somehow

I'd go for a temp gauge, you could use several senders via a dash mounted switch and monitor sump temp (via a sump plug mounted sender) filter housing temp, coolant temp etc

These cars are getting old, dashes erratic at times and wiring going high resistence - from your sig pic it looks like you do the odd track day?

That would be the one and only time and track it's been on lol. That wasn't a track,it was the little tiny one at the Haynes museum