Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

anyone do the audi brake upgrade?

has anyone done this? what audi is it off of? how much did you spend on parts? it is an easy conversion? let me know i am considering it because dual piston calapers sound like good stopping power to me.

I was thinking bout doing this too. I'm sure aposegil mentioned something to me about it not so long ago, but I can't remember :oops:

I think the calipers are off a UR quattro?

I have looked into this in some detail and AFAIK, this conversion involves using the Audi S2 Girling G60 twin-pot calipers and carriers which will fit straight on existing G60 brakes and brake lines. It may be that you need to change the end fittings of G60 brake lines to fit directly to the caliper. I think VR6 stainless brake lines, a la Goodridge or similar as these are the same as for the Audi 5000T CS Quattro (or Audi 100C Quattro in Europe), which is what the original Girling G60 calipers were fitted to before the S2 Coupe models. This and some competence to fit and overhaul front brakes is all that is required! They will fit all stock 15" VW alloys and give a much improved braking feel and stopping power, I understand ! You may need to change to the bigger 23.81mm master cylinder off the Audi the callipers come from, otherwise you end up with a longer pedal travel because the 2-pot design takes a bit more fluid to operate.

Further information may be found here,

http://www.bira.org/members/avg.html

http://www.bira.org/information.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=994377

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1308340

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=652763

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

Apparently the pads overlap the disk slightly when them calipers are fitted so you end up with a bit of a lip on them. (The pad).

Not a major problem though and easy enough to grind off occasionaly.

the original disc's on the s2 are 25mm thick and the C G60 disc's are 22mm thick will this cause any problems..... just thought id ask :)

Nope not AFAIK,

I have seen these brakes on a S3 engined Mk2 and they went on no problem with 280 mm discs from the Corrado G60,

Regards,

BigEastsideVWG60

Could do,

but the brakes from the Mk3 / 4 will not be as powerful or have as good feel as the twin-pot Audi Girling caliper set-up,

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

Buy a VR6.

The all you have to do is bolt on a 288mm brake set up from a Mk3 or 4....

I'm interested in doing this as my VR brakes feel weak compared to a G60's. Not sure if that's just VRs in general or due to mine being poo....

So do I just need the calipers pads and discs from a Golf Highline then, or even a MK4?

What models of MK4 uses the 288 setup?

K

RE Audi s2 twin pot calipers....

May well be doing this myself.

Only other problem I can see is that the staggered pistons will be the wrong way round - leading to uneven pad wear......

Buy a VR6.

The all you have to do is bolt on a 288mm brake set up from a Mk3 or 4....

I'm interested in doing this as my VR brakes feel weak compared to a G60's. Not sure if that's just VRs in general or due to mine being poo....

So do I just need the calipers pads and discs from a Golf Highline then, or even a MK4?

What models of MK4 uses the 288 setup?

K

I just got mine fitted today and there fantastic, 8) my old brakes were pretty badly worn though so the comparison isnt exactly accurate.

AFAIK you need the calipers and carriers from a late mk3 gti/vr6 or a mk4 that uses 288mm brakes. You also need new hoses as they use a banjo connection on the caliper. The disks you get for them have to be from the mk3 as mk4 disks have a different offset.

RE Audi s2 twin pot calipers....

May well be doing this myself.

Only other problem I can see is that the staggered pistons will be the wrong way round - leading to uneven pad wear......

Yeah i realised this on my cliper but i didnt think it would leads to uneven pads wear :?

I was thinking bout doing this too. I'm sure aposegil mentioned something to me about it not so long ago, but I can't remember :oops:

I think the calipers are off a UR quattro?

I im running original 16v calipers with Audi UR carriers at the mo but they will be leaving my car for a bigger set hopefully this weekend :D

I know I'd spoke to you somewhere about it.

What are you going for brembo's?

sadly no :( i sold my set as they wouldnt clear my wheels :cry:

Ive got audi S2 setup going on my car now (larger caliper and pad area)

That's what I'm scared of, otherwise I'd have a set of the red beasts on.

Where did you manage to source the S2 calipers from?

Also, I've just read the post on votex saying that a place called PG Performance used to modify the calipers to eradicate the 4mm gap between the edge of the disc and edge of the pad, does anyone know how this is done?

I'm gonna send an email to them soon to see if I can get any info on the mod. I'll post the reply I get.

Cheers Joe M

Did you use new parts or used ones?

I might book mine into Stealth and get this done then as my brakes are in need of a boost now that I've got then Shrek on etc and I won't be going Brembo due to the cost and need for bigger wheels.

If you noticed a definite improvement, then that's good enough for me!

K

i have my ways lol ;) but i should have a few more sets of theses S2 coming

also whats this 4mm gap ur talking about?

On one of the vw vortex links posted above, I think it's the last one, it mentions the pads overlapping the discs by 4mm. A place called PG Perfomance used to mod the calipers so the all the pad was on the disc, so no overlap.

Also, if you are getting a couple of sets I'd be interested, would you mind me being cheeky and asking to buy a pair off you?

My brakes need doing big time at the min :(

Just fit 288's and be done, I'm well happy with them

you can use mk4 GTI calipers and carriers and pads, they are exactly the same as late golf3 VR6 ones but you need late golf vr6 discs as the mk4 ones are the wrong offset.

they fit under speedlines too. but only just!

53723771.jpg

44213341.jpg

44213900.jpg

I take it those are Dan's calipers you had.....!

Basically - the different sized pistons are there to avoid uneven pad wear in the first place.

Typically the disk surface passes the smaller piston first which does its clamping job. As it clamps down, the pads typically release gasses which make it harder for the 2nd piston to excert the same force on the pad. As a result, caliper designers designed the 2nd piston larger to overcome these forces & allow a more even clamping force.

The problem with using the Girling twin pots on our cars is that not only will they not prevent uneven wear, but they will actually promote it.

With modern pads, the amount of gassing is far less than it used to be with the older compounds, but I still think we'll see noticable tapering of the worn pads.

RE the 4mm - I think this is because the audi disks are 276mm and VW disks are 280mm. Ie 2mm overlap. However this all depends on whether the mounting points are in the same place on both cars.... maybe - maybe not! Only one way to find out.

My personal preferance would be to use 996 rear calipers though. Evereyone wants 996 front calipers (like the S2 owners) because they can take 30mm disks. But no-one wants the rear calipers because they are designed for a 299 x 24mm disk.

To me, this sounds perfect to use on the VW 280mm disk. And there is a surplus of calipers because no-one wants 'em as they are seen as 2nd best! All we'd need are brackets to be sorted and some 16".

Also much better than the seat kit - because they are brembos latest design monoblocs and not the 10year old design they use for most OEM applications. Worth some considerations perhaps?

Anyway - If I can get hold of some Girlings next week I'll report back on how they fit!

Thanks Phat, I'm sold on the 288s now.....

Am I right in thinking it's the bigger pad area that gives the improvement over the 280s?

I'd love a set of Porsche brakes but I bet even the rear calipers would cost a fortune. My cousin has just bought a brand new Carrera 4S, the thing doesn't half move!!! But it stops even better. He gave me a taster of the brakes by jumping on then at 60mph, my face was hurting for 20 minutes after :lol: