Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

anyone do the audi brake upgrade?

ill have to check with my setup once ive fitted the S2's and see if there is any over lap but from the first "fit test" i didnt see any

Also im using g60 discs and i know the audi uses 276mm as Yalan mentioned so i would guess that i wouldnt have that prob.

Also Yalan yep my set came from Dan but if everything goes well with my install ill be getting more :)

I would love to get porsche brakes on there as i did have GT3 ones but then i would need to get a different set of wheels and thats not happening lol

yup - same thing here - just finished re-painting the Estorils - so no prorker brakes for me this time :(

.....and back off the other S2 owners..... they're mine!!

but having said that - the S2 calipers were used on shed loads of other 'average' audis so finding them from breakers shouldn't be a problem.... (and if they not off an S2, they probably won't be cahrging a premium either!)

so have you actually done a dry run with girling calipers VW 280mm disks?? sounds promising!

That's well cheap. How do you go about fitting the porsche calipers then? Custom bracket?

Thanks Phat, I'm sold on the 288s now.....

Am I right in thinking it's the bigger pad area that gives the improvement over the 280s?

yes, the pads are about 30% bigger.

I'll be selling mine once I sort out the porsche/brembo setup. I've got boxter S calipers with pp3 turbo 322mm discs and Mov-It 5x100 alloy bells.

I'll be selling mine once I sort out the porsche/brembo setup. I've got boxter S calipers with pp3 turbo 322mm discs and Mov-It 5x100 alloy bells.

nice - I take it you have 17"s !!

Cheers Joe M

Did you use new parts or used ones?

I got a good deal off ebay from a golf that had done 500miles on the disks and pads then rolled. :o

Saves me having to bed them for ages. 8)

Am I right in thinking it's the bigger pad area that gives the improvement over the 280s?

Bigger pad area, slightly more leverage, newer design and the disks are also thicker so theres more material to absorb the heat meaning it takes a lot more heavy braking to get any fade.

don't forget you'll need to change the hoses. or at least put banjo fittings on your braided ones if you have them.

the S2 calipers were used on shed loads of other 'average' audis so finding them from breakers shouldn't be a problem

Any ideas what other audis they were on?

I have a set for sale if thats any use Kev - braided hoses, calipers, new pads, and new discs. Have been fitted to a car, but not driven

Any ideas what other audis they were on?

perhaps 'shed loads' was a bit over optimistic!

I think all the coupe quattros had them and also the 20v 80's.

Best bet is to check ETKA or similar.

More info on similar swaps here

http://www.20v.org/brakeupg.htm

(although it is a US site so applications may vary)

Here's the reply I got back from PG Performance about having to modify the calipers to fit.

"Hi John,

You have to modify the calliper in such a way that the pads will fit evenly

on both sides so that the pads under load press even against the disc.

To space out the pads to meet the outer edge of the disc you have to rivet

in (made for this application) spacer blocks.

And since we are working with brakes one has to use the proper materials.

It is a time consuming job and not easy to explain in writing.

If you can't do it, send them to us and we will modify and test them for

you.

Thank you,

Paul Sr"

Hope it helps

RACK

I've just been quoted £100 plus VAT for a pair of S2 calipers does this sound like a good price?

Considering you could get a pair of 996 monoblocs for £160 + VAT it sounds a bit pricey..... but then it all depends on demand doesn't it! They do seem to go on e-bay every now & then so may be worth keeping your eye out.

RE the overlap - I can't quite understand what the chap above is trying to explain.... but personally I don't think riveting is a good idea on any brake components..... unless its just to hold something in position....

If aposegil is fitting them all up in the coming weeks, I'd be tempted to just wait and see before splasing out on any bits!

There always needs to be one guinea pig!

Yalan

That's what I was thinking, rivets on brakes :shock:

and you're right, for an extra £60 I could get the porsche ones, but just thinking how and if they'd fit with 16's?

Also I'm waiting for a couple of weeks before I buy anything due to me going on hol in a weeks time.

Hopefully aposegil will shed soon light on the situation.

I had the 996 front calipers on my S2 with 315mm disks. They fitted under the OEM 16" wheels but were too close for comfort. Had the disks taken down to 308mm & the calipers brought inboard correspondingly.

I'd guess that you could put a set of rear 996 calipers with VW 280mm disks quite happily under most 16" wheels. You'd have to get some brackets & hoses made up though. From experience, hoses seem to cost £45 a pair and brackets anything from £100-300 a pair. But again - someone needs to take the risk first! The added bonus here is that all the consumable parts are pish cheap (brembo disks £20 ea & textar pads £30 a set).

If I had any intention to go above 15's - I'd be giving it a bash tomorrow!!

(some more info on boxster brakes http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/pr ... kes/parts/ )

I might see if I can get hold of some porsche brakes after I get back from my hol. I work in a steel testing lab and across the corridor is our machine shop, I'm sure I could tempt someone to knock up a pair of brackets.

If not, I'll be beggin and payin aposegil for his advice :lol: Being the guniepig has some advantages.

I'm considering this upgrade for the brakes on my golf (from a 280mm g60 setup) Has anyone on here done it yet??

I know where I can get calipers at a reasonable price but what carriers will I need? Do I need the audi carriers or do the calipers fit onto the G60 ones. Also, has anyone fitted the larger diameter master cylinder to their car and is that a direct fit??

Right - I have a set of the S2 calipers here & having done a trial fit they seem to be perfect for OEM 15" wheels.

Fill 'em right to the rim (with about 4-5mm clearance!)

So, question is alex, have you actually used yours yet? what is the pedal feel like?

And do the hoses use the same connectors as the VW calipers? ie can you just use the old hoses off the corrado?

This could be a nice cheap upgrade!

Cheers mate!