Faisal Hamed

Problems opening bonnet..

We are struggling to open the bonnet every so often on the Corrado.

It opens on one side, the drivers side but we have to continuously fiddle with the lever and bonnet to get the passenger side to release...

Any ideas???

I'm not mechanically minded, so keep responses simple please lol...

Thanks

Possibilities:

Catch mechanism needs lubricating, or has grease on it that's gone solid. (clean old grease off with gunk, or WD40 etc, and apply white spray grease)

Stretched cable.

Loose release handle.

Misaligned catch.

I suppose the bonnet could be a bit wonky on the hinges - but if it lines up with the wings and the panel gaps are right, then it is right.

My old valved was like that, I had to pull the bonnet release lever once and the drivers side would release, and the second time to release the passenger side, it was only when the valver went I found out it shouldn't be doing that! Try trigger it twice for a quick fix!

You need to adjust the bonnet pin springs; from memory, you wind them in to make the bonnet pop up more and out to pop up less. It's a balance between getting the bonnet to pop open properly and having the bonnet sitting nicely when it's shut - you'll probably have to play with it for a while to get it how you want it.

BTW, it's the large hexagon shaped seat that the spring sits in that you should be adjusting (I found an adjustable spanner worked best).

Mark

Had exactly same issue. Ask someone to push down on passenger side of the bonnet and you meanwhile pull the leaver. It should open fine. In my case it was one of the rubber bungs on the slam panel that need tightening. It fixed it for good. Hope it's as simple to fix in your case too.

I had it on my old valver occasionally too. I used to have to keep the lever pulled out by using the seatbelt to hold it out, then push down on the passenger side to open it.

Merry Xmas all.

Well I thought we'd do some work on the corrado today.

Went to open the bonnet and bang, this piece of metal fell out and we are left with no tension in the handle.

Someone help, how do we open the bonnet...dudydysy.jpgy8uvyquj.jpg

You mean on the thin silver part, tried that no luck!

It just disappeared into the black cabling channel.

To make matters worse, the battery is now flat, probably because the drivers door was left open leaving the light on for an hour whilst I was trying to get the bonnet open.

Great Xmas so far lol

Here's a ink to the wiki for problems with one side, but you may be able to get both open by releasing the cable from underneath........... worth a try I suppose.

I had problems with only one side of my bonnet opening after the car was stood for some time, I found it easiest to remove the bumper to gain access, abit of grease around catch area and it sorted it straight out,

You should be able to (slow!) charge your battery through the lighter socket if you've got a plug lying around.

Trim the plastic cable outer back a bit till you can get to the metal core, then as above, pliers (or mole grips) and assistant pushing down on the front should get it open.

I think the S shaped bit on the end that's tumbled off yours is only meant to be crimped on - should be possible to do again with a bit of ingenuity!