Sign in to follow this  
yalan

Servicing charges.... how long should it take?

About to pick up my 16v this afternoon following some basic work. The labour charges are sounding pretty large to me now…. :(

How long do you reckon it would take to do the following .. (my estimates are in brackets)

Drain oil (10mins)

Replace sump gasket (30mins)

Change oil filter, Plug sump & fill oil (20mins)

Timing Belt & tensioner renewal (40mins)

Change plugs, leads, dizzy cap & rotor arm (40mins)

Change air filter (10mins)

Change fuel filter (30mins)

Other ‘service items’ not already covered (10mins)

Front engine mount (60mins)

So far, the quote is 9 hours and still counting…. My estimate comes in @ 4h10 ??? am I being a bit overoptimistic ??

NINE hours???

I'd estimate 5-6 hours at the very most!

What "other service items" are we talking about? The full service includes inspecting brakes, greasing sunroofs, spoiler mech, door hinges, checking lots of levels etc etc - a full service usually takes a couple of hours itself.

I think you've under estimated the cambelt change and sump gasket timings.

It's all well and good estimating time in that manner, but what happens if they stumble on a seized bolt? Things like that can take hours to rectify.

My car had a rounded locking wheel bolt once (never buy trilocks, they're crap) and that cost me 3 hours labour - before the actual work I took it in for could begin.

.. admittedly, I usually find I've underestimated when I go to pick the car up too... :(

I once needed a brake calliper change and found that the previous owner hadn't given me the locking nut tool for the wheels... they had to get the nuts off by chiselling grooves into the nuts for a screwdriver to get them off...

16 times!!!

I think you've under estimated the cambelt change and sump gasket timings.

It's all well and good estimating time in that manner, but what happens if they stumble on a seized bolt? Things like that can take hours to rectify.

hmm ... think you might be right about the cambelt - called a stealer & they budget 1.9 hours for that.

we'll see tonight what the total comes out at!

removing the sump can be a little pain in the rear too... the bolts at the gearbox end have a nasty habit of stripping threads if you aren't mega careful... :|

?

i would imagine your 16v front engine mount would be the same as a VR6 front engine mount to fit.........this shouldn't take more than 30mins by any competeant mechanic.......ive seen it changed in 20 minutes by a tyre-fitter mate.......admittedly on a Golf VR but pretty sure the room to manouver is much the same

?

i would imagine your 16v front engine mount would be the same as a VR6 front engine mount to fit.........this shouldn't take more than 30mins by any competeant mechanic.......ive seen it changed in 20 minutes by a tyre-fitter mate.......admittedly on a Golf VR but pretty sure the room to manouver is much the same

yeah - I'd tend to agree - but for what its worth, VW quote 0.9 hour for the job (ie £72!)