sam2.0

Sodden bonnet lining

Car was struggling to go this morning, just chugging along. I think it's the alternator.

But when I looked under the bonnet, the lining on the bonnet was sodden, nothing was wet in the engine bay.

Could this just be from rain getting into some of the strengthening bars and leaking into it? Or something more sinister?

Perhaps a lot if condensation? Post up some pics although it could be that tge car needs a good run to clear it up.

Car has been doing 20 miles a day for a fortnight.

It was damn through and when I touched it my finger went straight through and made a hole.

Weirdly, its only the right centre piece and some of the left centre piece.

No smell or colour.

How is the heating inside the car? My old valver started overheating and on short journeys too. Turned out the water pump had failed, the blades had all sheared off

been through any deeeep water? you could lick the lining to see if it tastes of coolant?

more seriously, it's unlikely to be spray from the road or just condensation, leaking coolant would be a favourite

Pump is 500 miles old.

It wouldn't be leaking, it'd be spraying coolant. I got it to run for 30 seconds and gave it some revs and no liquid to be seen.

It was driven last night for 30 miles and it started doing funny electrics. So dim lights, slow wipers etc. Not what I want to happen to the wife at 11pm.

Then this morning it was similar and started choking. IT got progressively worse, to the point that it wouldn't start.

I think the water is unrelated, but I've never seen it before. Saying that, if I ever pop the bonnet it'll be once its warm (evaporated) or after its been in a garage.

I took one of the HT cables off and the end had a tiny bit of moisture on it. But thats all I've done as I was late for work. I'm going to take my tools and look tonight. Just wanted some ideas to look att

check the alternator - in fact check the blue exciter wire is not broken or otherwise disconnected. Check the voltage at the battery with ignition off, on, engine running and engine running for 5 minutes.

I've gone through the excite wire problem before, and had to replace it. I will of course be checking I'm getting ~14v from it later on.

Water does seem to splash up and hit the underside of bonnet, i notice it quite a lot as i cleaned all mine and have a look every so often and can see where water has been

Went to sort it out last night. Everything seemed fine, good power from the alternator, nothing looked broken etc.

So I figured it could be some crap from the petrol tank. It had a few gallons left, but figured it couldn't hurt. £40 later and 30 minutes of sitting in the car turning it over, it finally cleared and ran like normal.

I explained to my other half who said she'd only just put petrol in it. Weird, but might have been crap stuff.

Anyway, I asked about the water on the bonnet lining and she said she'd driven through puddles maybe a little fast as she likes the water splashing! That'll explain the wet and also why the electrics kept playing up. Everything was probably wet!

Bloody women.

Thanks for help/suggestions.

I did ask (sort of jokingly) if you'd been through any deep water :)

It's worth removing the tank hatch, unscrewing the tank lid and shining a torch into the bottom of the tank to see if you can see any globules of water sat at the bottom, I remember (Jim?) having a similar problem on his 16v, water somehow getting into the tank, possibly from a breather pipe under the filler neck?

Might be advisable to change the fuel filter under the car too, less than a tenner.

I did ask (sort of jokingly) if you'd been through any deep water :)

It's worth removing the tank hatch, unscrewing the tank lid and shining a torch into the bottom of the tank to see if you can see any globules of water sat at the bottom, I remember (Jim?) having a similar problem on his 16v, water somehow getting into the tank, possibly from a breather pipe under the filler neck?

Might be advisable to change the fuel filter under the car too, less than a tenner.

Ha. I wish she'd told me before looking at it in horizontal rain for 30 minutes!

I'll give it a go. Filter changed only a few K ago.

if the tank screw lid hasn't been off before prepare to get angry! I hammered it round with a lump of wood to protect the plastic a little