Bullfinch

Lupo Wipers - how much do you bend the arm

I'm finally trying to get the issue with the passenger side wiper sorted now that the car is seeing regularly use. The drivers side wiper works fine, the problem is the passenger side.

I've got the 21 inch wiper on the passenger side and I reckon only the outer 2 inches either end actually clear the screen. This leaves the middle 15 inches not doing anything:( The design of aero wipers look to have a natural curve in them and the Bosch aero wipers appear to fit perfectly. I've tried bending the wiper arm but this doesn't seem to help too much - maybe see slight gains. I'm scared if I bend it too much the arm will snap. Any ideas? Btw - I've tried swapping blades and this doesn't help. ie: 21 inch on drivers side then works fine but I get the same big gap with the 18 inch blade on passenger side. I sometimes wonder if the replacement windscreen fitted 4 years ago appears too flat on the passenger side but I'm sure this can't be the case.

1st things 1st, does the arm come to rest close enough to the screen?

remove the blade and carefully! lower the bare arm to the screen, usually the shoulders on the arm base prevent the arm end from actually touching the screen, if they do, and the arm is too far away you need to file/dremel the shoulders away, a couple of mm will do.

OK so this morning I checked the following. Took the wipers off to see how close the blades touch the windscreen and both drivers side and passenger side were just touching the screen. Undid the passenger side bolt, cleaned up and re-attached. However the same non-clearing problem on the passenger side persists. It's very clear to see when you switch the ignition off with the wipers at 45% on the screen. Drivers side touches all along the wiper, passenger side has a clear gap in the middle. I attach photos showing how the passenger side arm is attached much higher up the bolt than the drivers side. Is this normal? I assume I need to adjust the passenger side bolt (it would be good to drop this a few mm) - again is that possible and if so how. I'm no diy expert so I need all the help I can get!

i had the same issue... but with standard arms i bent mine and it looks stoopid.. still waiting for a better wiper arm solution

Stop the wipers half way up the screen then, remove the blade, how close does the arm get to the screen in that position?

Stop the wipers half way up the screen then, remove the blade, how close does the arm get to the screen in that position?

The passenger side is over 1cm adrift of the screen whilst the drivers side is almost touching but as mentioned before when in resting position both arms just about touch the screen

I still think you may need to grind the base shoulders down a little, only other thing is a weak arm spring, unlikely on a new arm though

Thanks for the advice so far. When you talk about filing down the shoulder a few mm which part of the arm is this? As you say with fairly new arms you would expect the springs to be strong but I sensed when the blades were at 45 degrees on the screen the curvature of the aero wipers seemed to offset the downward pressure from the arm.